Early in 1934 the Mt Mansfield Ski Club formed a safety committee to act as hosts and guides on the mountain. They informed skiers about trail conditions and waxing techniques. Members wore a triangular yellow shoulder patch that became a badge of distinction, and many volunteered to wear the emblem. By spring, the club learned that an educated squad with first aid training was essential requirements for an effective patrol.
That season, skiable snow was in short supply in the southern Adirondacks. Finally in late winter significant snow fell, and on March 4, 1934 the first ski train headed to North Creek from Schenectady carrying members of the Schenectady Wintersports Club.