All of us know the deal with skiing in the northeastern US; it ain’t always a walk in the daisies.
Opportunistic timing is the name of the game around here – you have to get it while the getting’s good because for every day with great conditions and the occasional powder day, there’ll be others where we’re fighting ice, rock-hard boilerplate, rain, and god knows what else to pursue our passion.
- White Mountains, NH: Wandering Skis
- Bearpen Mtn, NY: The Original Beast of the East
- Burke Mountain, VT: Pride of the NEK
- Belleayre Mountain, NY: Low-Key in the Catskills
- Elk Mountain, PA: Best in the Keystone State?
- Bobcat Ski Center, NY: Time Stands Still
- Montage Mountain, PA: Ski Weekend in the Electric City
But we gut it out because a) the northeast is our home, b) those tough days make us appreciate the good ones even more, and c) there’s a lot of great skiing to be had throughout the New York and New England region. In addition to the larger, more mainstream ski areas, there are many smaller, off-the-beaten path hills with more ambiance and great tree skiing than you can shake a stick at.
We’ll be adding a number of new Eastern magazine articles in the coming months, so stayed tuned!