While we always knew that Whiteface was well-suited to Olympic level ski events, we’d never actually considered which runs we used for specific events. We’d assumed that Cloudspin and Skyward were part of the answer, but hadn’t really thought it through.
We were given permission to use this post card from the 1980 Winter Olympic Games that were held at Lake Placid and Whiteface. It came with no description. We thought it would be a simple matter to match the graphic up with a current Whiteface trail map to determine what trails had been used for each event.
However it was not that easy. If you’ve got definitive answers about which events were held on which trails, please post a comment below or on the piece in the NY Ski Directory: Whiteface Olympic Runs.
UPDATED with info from comments:
- Men’s Downhill: Cloudspin – Niagara
- Ladies Downhill: Upper Skyward
- Men’s Slalom: Approach – Wilderness
- Ladies Slalom: Approach – Wilderness
- Mens GS: Upper Parkway – Lower Parkway
- Ladies GS: Upper Thruway – Lower Thruway