Poll: What management model for the best ski experience at ORDA Ski Areas?

What management model for the best ski experience at ORDA Ski Areas?

• ORDA maintains full operational responsibility for ski areas and venues

• NY to lease the ski areas to private operators

• NY to sell the ski areas to private operators

Results are only viewable after voting.
"they are a vindictive organization, and that is why the Uphill was taken away", they could give a shit about the extra money, or liability, this was purely payback for a private business in town.
OK, I just put my tinfoil hat on. When was uphill taken away?

NYS also kicked in ~ $850 million towards the Buffalo Bills's new stadium. So I'm fine with the state subsidizing ORDA's improvements.

I can't speak to the uphill policy at WF. My gripe is that Mt van Hoevenberg's legacy trails haven't gotten the grooming they need. After 8" of pow one day this winter, Ladies 5 and East Mt were groomed; Porter Mt wasn't. Was that because of peak hours - my weekends last winter were Sunday night- Wednesday. Was it because personnel issues? I have no idea, but it's not acceptable for one of van Ho's premier trails to not be groomed after snowfall like that.

All valid points. The potential of the ORDA venues is considerable, something I realize on those days when they just seem to get everything right. I am curious what the ORDA organization chart looks like. Who is on the board and why? Are the local communities represented equitably? Do we have solid teams running the show(s)? Don’t get me wrong, but it’s hard to believe that the Adirondacks are a hotbed of development for ski area management. There are great people working in the organization, but the mindset is siloed, stagnant from years of homegrown leadership. The ability to adapt to change through innovation is what sets us apart from most. Not sure I’ve seen much of it on the mountains, ever.

All valid points. The potential of the ORDA venues is considerable, something I realize on those days when they just seem to get everything right. I am curious what the ORDA organization chart looks like. Who is on the board and why? Are the local communities represented equitably? Do we have solid teams running the show(s)? Don’t get me wrong, but it’s hard to believe that the Adirondacks are a hotbed of development for ski area management. There are great people working in the organization, but the mindset is siloed, stagnant from years of homegrown leadership. The ability to adapt to change through innovation is what sets us apart from most. Not sure I’ve seen much of it on the mountains, ever.

I'm acquainted with Mt van Ho's director and he is a good person. Unsure about people further up the chain.

Monopoly!? Give me a break! At least fifty other ski areas of varying types of ownership operate in NY in-spite of the state owning three area's themselves.... :rolleyes:
I'm referring to the blank checkbook that ORDA hills enjoy. No other ski areas have that. I'm fine with tax dollar's being spent on skiing, it blows my mind there's zero accountability.

Back