Poll: What management model for the best ski experience at ORDA Ski Areas?

What management model for the best ski experience at ORDA Ski Areas?

• ORDA maintains full operational responsibility for ski areas and venues

• NY to lease the ski areas to private operators

• NY to sell the ski areas to private operators

Results are only viewable after voting.
Belle could actually be profitable, that place is packed.
I guess you'd have to define profitable. Are you including capex in this math?

I'm not doubting this, but I don't know how one could know it without access to the data.

Also speculation, I wouldn't be surprised if the economic development potential per dollar of a ski area is at least as good as that for a stadium/pro team.

How much do stadiums cost? Do sports teams get continued subsidy after the stadium is built?

I guess you'd have to define profitable. Are you including capex in this math?

I'm not doubting this, but I don't know how one could know it without access to the data.

Also speculation, I wouldn't be surprised if the economic development potential per dollar of a ski area is at least as good as that for a stadium/pro team.

How much do stadiums cost? Do sports teams get continued subsidy after the stadium is built?
Stadiums almost never add to the local economy. Football stadiums are the worst with higher costs to build and operate and less dates used. Billionaire team owners have perfected collecting funds and low/no interest loans from local politicians.

Stadiums almost never add to the local economy. Football stadiums are the worst with higher costs to build and operate and less dates used. Billionaire team owners have perfected collecting funds and low/no interest loans from local politicians.
Exactly. Why is the public subsidizing very successful private businesses. These teams are signing players to $100 million contracts and the teams are worth a billion dollars. Every study ever done has shown that the money does not come back to the city or state. The taxpayers should be up in arms. But then if the teams left the politicians responsible would never be re-elected. The states and cities need to come to an agreement that none of them will fund any of these stadium projects

I think there is some rah rah effect too. Philadelphia and all her people (and politicians) love the Eagles. It's part of their identity. Met, Yanks, it's true for all. Seems like the Bills have all of western NY locked up.

1693429266155.png

They would get even higher if sold to a sole proprietor, as they should. ORDA is not held to task, meaning, no one is held accountable for making a profit. The skiing monopoly that NYS has is, at best, unfair.
I have a certain amount of sympathy for this point, as made by Laszlo and others, but it is kinda BS when you think about it. I regularly golf at courses owned by towns, counties and the state. There are also plenty of private courses that get my money. NYS campgrounds compete with private campgrounds. I would much prefer my kids go to SUNY schools than private schools, never mind for profit schools. Government has a place in all these milieus.

Back