Poll: What management model for the best ski experience at ORDA Ski Areas?

What management model for the best ski experience at ORDA Ski Areas?

• ORDA maintains full operational responsibility for ski areas and venues

• NY to lease the ski areas to private operators

• NY to sell the ski areas to private operators

Results are only viewable after voting.
It’s clear that ORDA wants to discourage uphill. That’s short sighted. They should encourage everyone to use the properties in every reasonable way. That’s how you build political support for the entire mission.

Whatever small incremental resources are required is beside the point.

mm

It’s clear that ORDA wants to discourage uphill.
I don’t think it’s clear especially since they have changed the policy at Belleayre and it’s finally allowed there now. Hopefully Gore will follow.

The result of grooming and maintenance of the trails.

Another advantage of snowmaking and grooming at WF.

If you get hurt at WF patrol with a sled can SAR you, which is certainly less costly with the access that has been built there.

Paying for resources: The first skier could pay $10M to use the area and everyone else could be free. It's not that there is no cost, it's more about the difference between fixed and variable cost. Ski areas have a ton of fixed cost, and it only works if you spread it across many.

FWIW I think few (or none) here are against uphill access. Why would you be? IMO it has to be regulated somehow. I'm sure buying a pass indemnifies the mountain from lawsuit if you get killed by a snowmobile. Maybe it is just a few people, but it was my understanding that it started to get much more popular during covid and management felt they had to do something.

This poll was really designed to get opinions on a different issue: Do you think the mountains and venues would be better with private management or ownership?

My opinion is probably pretty well known here. ORDA areas have something that private areas don't have. Not saying it is better or worse, but it's different. Personally I love skiing at a place without slopeside lodging, but that is just me.

I want to see NY continue to look to find ways to support private ski areas too.

I work in the ski industry, mostly for private Non-Profits....they are much better run, with much less resources than ORDA facilities - sorry this doesn't fit neatly into your poll, but not really a big fan of ORDA, Whiteface is just one of my complaints - "they are a vindictive organization, and that is why the Uphill was taken away", they could give a shit about the extra money, or liability, this was purely payback for a private business in town.

It is very easy to put in a policy to go up only one route - which they had. Groom the uphill route at 7p and let uphill folks use it. BTW XC areas always have grooming equipment. (snow mobiles and pisten bullys( on the trails while skiers are there....it is not a big deal.

I have a bigger gripe with MtVanHo, but I really don't want to get into the back and forth on that venue.

Groom the uphill route at 7p and let uphill folks use it.
Arguably a lot of work on behalf of the mountain and the staff for a bunch of individuals who aren't really giving much to the mountains bottom line.

In any uphill situation where the snow is MANMADE, I consider it a privilege to have any sort of access period. Move out west and get into public lands if you really want true, unfettered access to free skiing.

I work in the ski industry, mostly for private Non-Profits....they are much better run, with much less resources than ORDA facilities - sorry this doesn't fit neatly into your poll, but not really a big fan of ORDA, Whiteface is just one of my complaints - "they are a vindictive organization, and that is why the Uphill was taken away", they could give a shit about the extra money, or liability, this was purely payback for a private business in town.

It is very easy to put in a policy to go up only one route - which they had. Groom the uphill route at 7p and let uphill folks use it. BTW XC areas always have grooming equipment. (snow mobiles and pisten bullys( on the trails while skiers are there....it is not a big deal.

I have a bigger gripe with MtVanHo, but I really don't want to get into the back and forth on that venue.

I didn't mean to convey that I cared that your response was a bit OT, we major in off topic around here. I was just curious to know if you wish the ski areas were in private hands. (I don't think a private company would want to operate the venues without subsidy.)

Curious about the source of the quote.

One thing about skiers sharing the hill with groomers... maybe it has to do with pitch, blind rollovers and speed of skiers going down hill? Just a guess.

I have to say I am surprised by the (admittedly limited) results of the poll. I though for sure more would like to see the ski areas in private hands.

Back