Poll: What management model for the best ski experience at ORDA Ski Areas?

What management model for the best ski experience at ORDA Ski Areas?

• ORDA maintains full operational responsibility for ski areas and venues

• NY to lease the ski areas to private operators

• NY to sell the ski areas to private operators

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think there's one notable difference between NYS giving money to stadiums vs ORDA. I don't know of any privately owned stadiums that are in direct competition with Yankee Stadium, or Buffalo Stadium.

It's true. Baseball (or any sport) is already a bit like a monopoly.

Congress threw the franchise cities under the bus with the anti_trust exemption. They should automatically revoke the exemption whenever a team leaves a city without negotiating an exit fee. That would help keep teams in place and neutralize the leverage teams have to extort subsidies for new stadiums.

mm

How is that any better though? I'd rather my tax dollars go into a publicly owned venue then to line the pockets of a privately held one
It's not better. I don't care for the unlevel playing field created by ORDA. That's all. They would fall flat on their faces if it wasn't for that checkbook.

I'm not a big sports guy and honestly don't know enough about it but:

1. If public money can go to private sports teams then it shouldn't be seen as outrageous to also go to public recreational venues either.
  2. Tear down Madison Square Garbage completely and re-build Penn Station. Let that scum bag Dolan pay for his own stadium on the west side.

As recently as this spring NY state legislators were exploring a measure to eliminate sales tax for upgrades made to private ski areas, not sure where this sits currently or if anyone here has more information on the specifics but there are people in positions of power working to level the playing field for private operators, other states have done the same. At the end of the day, with more ski areas in operation than any other state, NY has an economic interest in keeping private operations in business. If this were a situation where the number of ORDA mountains outnumbered private ski area maybe I'd have a different view but that simply is not the case. A state with the largest number of ski areas in the country can have varying ownership models in play while still maintaining a competitive market. Not to mention, Empire State Development is always going to be in the background to throw grant funding and public funds in the direction of private business and projects with an interest in restoring and maintaining local economies.

As recently as this spring NY state legislators were exploring a measure to eliminate sales tax for upgrades made to private ski areas, not sure where this sits currently or if anyone here has more information on the specifics but there are people in positions of power working to level the playing field for private operators, other states have done the same. At the end of the day, with more ski areas in operation than any other state, NY has an economic interest in keeping private operations in business. If this were a situation where the number of ORDA mountains outnumbered private ski area maybe I'd have a different view but that simply is not the case. A state with the largest number of ski areas in the country can have varying ownership models in play while still maintaining a competitive market. Not to mention, Empire State Development is always going to be in the background to throw grant funding and public funds in the direction of private business and projects with an interest in restoring and maintaining local economies.
I agree that any and all help given to privately owned ski areas is much needed and helpful. I'll disagree that saving sales tax on upgrades is even close to the millions upon millions shuffled into ORDA.

Back