Poll: The Impact of the Epic Pass

What is the impact of the Epic Pass?

• • I don't have an Epic Pass.

• • I have an Epic Pass because it was the best option for me.

• • I have an Epic Pass because my mountain is a Vail mountain.

• I don't see any impact of the Epic Pass, positive or negative.

• Epic is good for skiers.

• Epic is bad for skiers.

• Epic is good for member mountains.

• Epic is bad for member mountains.

• Epic is good for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is bad for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is good for skiing.

• It's not that it's evil, it's just that it's bad.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Harder to do in the mid-Atlantic, meaning the small PA mountains that are now on Epic. Few even have a mid-mountain lift. :)
Yeah it is harder at smaller places.

Still smaller lines at Roundtop Ramrod triple, Whitetail expert lift, JFrost Paradise lift.

At Hunter stick to double next to Flyer, F lift, Northside lift, Zephyr.

Be there at opening and take early lunch when it crowds up or come after it thins out.

Ride as a single and be assertive in asking to ride with folks in front of you, and then in front of them . . .

And also have a dirt cheap Indy Pass to use when you know those places will be mobbed.

1676404875731.png

There are definitely people on skiing boards I participate in that argue that passes should be more expensive so that their favorite mountains have fewer people. Inevitably those that would not be there due to higher prices are more budget conscious people.
I get that. Of course there's all sorts of people and there were probably people before the mega passes that wanted to raise prices for similar reasons. I just don't think it's really the driving issue here and bringing it in to this does your argument a disservice. I withdraw "I don't think anyone cares much about..." and replace it with "I don't think most people really care much about...".

I get that. Of course there's all sorts of people and there were probably people before the mega passes that wanted to raise prices for similar reasons. I just don't think it's really the driving issue here and bringing it in to this does your argument a disservice. I withdraw "I don't think anyone cares much about..." and replace it with "I don't think most people really care much about...".
It comes down to not wanting more people to ski. It's elitism.

It comes down to not wanting more people to ski. It's elitism.
oh boy. That's not an argument, that's name calling. I expect more from you. Maybe you're just trying to generate a reply?

I think it's understandable that people are upset with some of the impacts of the mega pass and overcrowding is one of those impacts. It has nothing to do with elitism. My point, which I'm clearly having a difficult time making, is that the argument that mega passes can be good because they make skiing more affordable is a great argument, stick with it. When you start dismissing real concerns about the impact that this very sudden change is having on the resort skiing experience as elitist, you lose the chance to have any kind of actual discussion. Why have discussion? Because maybe, just maybe, discussion can lead to addressing some of these concerns. I would think you, with your endless list of concerns about everything from weather reporting to lift line management, might get behind that. Perhaps I misunderstand your motivations.

If you have followed this thread for a while, you would've seen my post about how mega passes breathed new life into a ski industry that was struggling to find its footing after the Great Recession. Skier visits were anemic for many years between from when that shit went down to when the pass wars started (I consider it 2018 when the Ikon Pass was launched). It wasn't that long ago that the industry was hurting for skier visits. Now they have them and people are complaining that there are too many.

You may notice that I rarely complain that there are too many people at a resort. This is because I understand that resorts need crowded days to make money. If you want fewer skier visits, then do you really want your home mountain to succeed?

Yes, I am a stickler for lift throughput. If a resort is crowded, your ability to take runs depends entirely on that resort's ability to move people up the mountain. That means running lifts as fast as possible, avoiding stops and slows, and filling every seat. Failure to do any of these means you, as a customer, will get fewer runs.

Every resort does have a comfortable carrying capacity, and with mega passes that level has been exceeded at some resorts. Likewise, many resorts are taking measures to increase their comfortable carrying capacity. Here are just a few examples:

Big Sky, Loon, and Sunday River have undertaken major lift upgrades to improve uphill capacity and terrain utilization, while reducing choke points.

Vail Resorts just built 19 lifts across their resorts, mostly to replace older lifts with new higher capacity lifts, but they also built some lifts where there wasn't one before, like Vail's Sun Down Express to even further increase uphill capacity and reduce wait times.

Killington had issues with overcrowding in their K1 Lodge, so they built a brand new lodge that's twice the size of the old one.

Snowmass just released a comprehensive plan to upgrade lifts and expand skiable acres to comfortably accommodate more skiers on the mountain.

Crystal Mountain in Washington encouraged carpooling and offered bus transportation for free to work around their limited parking.

My previous post was referring to those who are against any upgrades to improve a resort's comfortable carrying capacity, because they would rather have fewer skiers instead. I don't understand why any skier is opposed to lift upgrades. They are done to reduce wait times and give you more runs. Same goes for other facility upgrades like lodges. I do get why some would be against changes made to parking. I'm opposed to paid parking, but I'm all for encouraging carpooling and public transit.

There are two ways to reduce skier visits at resort. First is price increases, and the second is firm capacity limits. If you want ticket or pass prices to increase, then keep in mind that it might be someone you know or maybe even you who gets priced out of a particular resort. The same goes for other measures to limit crowds, like capping ticket or pass sales, or requiring reservations. If a resort is turning people away, then it could always end up being you who gets turned away. All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for.

This whole argument sums up why I have given up the sport I once loved and lived for.
It has become work and a source of aggravation.
There used to be a cool zen culture to the sport. I know I’m romanticizing it a bit. But now it’s just shit.

This whole argument sums up why I have given up the sport I once loved and lived for.
There used to be a cool zen culture to the sport. I know I’m romanticizing it a bit. But now it’s just shit.
Just try to ski midweek in the East.

Consider this your personal invitation to return to Plattekill.

Just try to ski midweek in the East.
ive tried but for the weather has conspired against me...thur/fri have been crap for skiing...

Back