Poll: The Impact of the Epic Pass

What is the impact of the Epic Pass?

• • I don't have an Epic Pass.

• • I have an Epic Pass because it was the best option for me.

• • I have an Epic Pass because my mountain is a Vail mountain.

• I don't see any impact of the Epic Pass, positive or negative.

• Epic is good for skiers.

• Epic is bad for skiers.

• Epic is good for member mountains.

• Epic is bad for member mountains.

• Epic is good for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is bad for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is good for skiing.

• It's not that it's evil, it's just that it's bad.

Results are only viewable after voting.
simmering hatred you had for midweek skiers

Um no.

Replace "simmering hatred" with "pet peeve"

and

replace "midweek skiers" with "people who suggest midweek skiing like I never thought of it before."

It's disingenious.

Um no.

Replace "simmering hatred" with "pet peeve"

and

replace "midweek skiers" with "people who suggest midweek skiing like I never thought of it before."

It's disingenious.
Okay, I didn’t realize the [pet peeve] you had for [people who suggest midweek skiing like I never thought of it before].

It seemed to go beyond that, though. Were you speaking to “people who suggest midweek skiing like I never thought of it before” when you said the “ski midweek” stuff is elitist & that midweek skiers are a “necessary cost not a profit center”?

I don’t get it?

Okay, I didn’t realize the [pet peeve] you had for [people who suggest midweek skiing like I never thought of it before].

It seemed to go beyond that, though. Were you speaking to “people who suggest midweek skiing like I never thought of it before” when you said the “ski midweek” stuff is elitist & that midweek skiers are a “necessary cost not a profit center”?

I don’t get it?
Thanks for rephrasing it.

Yes I was referring to them. In fairness we all do it. Everyone likes to think they are living right. Maybe it's not the right word. Maybe some of them really think I never thought of it before.

Does that information help you, open your eyes to new possibilities? Or are you going to keep doing what you are doing, skiing when you can, sometimes midweek, but not as a rule. Getting the best snow you can given what you have on your plate.

I have no disdain for midweek skiers, I aspire to be one and I commit not to suggesting midweek skiing to working moms and dads doing their best to support their families, etc.

. I commit not to suggesting midweek skiing to working moms and dads doing their best to support their families, etc.
Why? Midweek skiing is good for everyone.

I look forward to taking a couple of nice midweek days this spring (with the kid in daycare).

I commit not to suggesting midweek skiing to working moms and dads doing their best to support their families, etc.
WTF? Did the bruise from your recent collision disappear or something? The first thing I do when talking to people with families who want to try out the sport is suggest they go midweek. It’s safer, less expensive and stress free. Anyone can take off a day or two here and there. If your lifestyle can’t afford that then that’s a different and possibly very unhealthy issue. I’ll take two uncrowded days over a crowded 20 and I’m happy skiing just a handful of days each year.

If I was talking to a family I'd do the same. If I was talking to a guy with a ski website, I'd assume he/she knew. Maybe when people look at me they sincerely think I could benefit from the advice.

I rarely ski in crowds. I do it when I think the snow will be worth it. Gore was fine this weekend. Hunter was more crowded than I am used to, but not that crowded for Hunter. I should work to be better in crowds or give it up completely. Like I said I don't do it much.

Feel free to continue to misinterpret it all. There's no simmering hatred coming from me. Carry on.

If I was talking to a family I'd do the same. If I was talking to a guy who studies weather/snow forecasts every day, I'd assume he/she knew. Maybe when people look at me they sincerely think I could benefit from the advice.
I think this is a perfectly reasonable response to a guy with this stated objective (even one that is knowledgeable about ski areas).

6092F018-3898-463C-A058-925720FF8134.jpeg

If sno (or anyone) wanted to get the maximum ski time, combined with the minimum wait time, it’s the most obvious option.

“Is it okay if that ski time is at an area closer to you, possibly one with night skiing?” or “Do you want to rearrange your life to make it happen?” are different questions that might result from the original comment, but I don’t think the original comment was out of bounds (or “elitist”) in any way.

Raises hand* Midweek pass holder here!

There's no reason to ski Snowbowl during the weekends. I'd probably feel the same about a lot of ski areas out east as well. Time is the most valuable thing I have, I won't waste it standing in lines all day to get minimal skiing in.

Reactions: MC2
conditions , conditions ,conditions. as long as skiing is good, a little wait never bothered me. even on the most crowded days, gore can be awesome. just get there early and beat the parking lot shit show. plattekill on a crowded day is not awful. yes the lift line can be a wait, but the old lifts make the ride down less crowded. mad river and magic on a Saturday is a different story. those lines can get old in a hurry. but again the ride down is worth the wait in the right conditions. i don't need 20 runs a day. probably don't have 20 in me. enjoy the experience

Back