Whiteface Conditions

Dumb question - is the entity that sets the UMP a government entity? In that case, some enterprising ski blog runner : ) could put in a Freedom of Information Law request for the documents . . . . Sometimes there are exceptions. For example, on the federal side, you can't (rightly) get information about an investigation.
All the draft UMP documents are posted and DEC is required to consider public comments before it is adopted. The problem is that the draft UMP is developed by DEC and ORDA staff more or less in privacy. Once the draft is published, they are not gonna change it. The process is designed so that public comments can be easily dismissed. If you want to have influence on the UMP, you gotta be in the room when it's drafted.

mm

Would anyone consider helping me update this?

It's a history of Whiteface, written in 2008.

Who best to update it to today?

@chumpomatic @snoloco @D.B. Cooper who?
I think others here probably know more about the history than I do as I'm not originally from the area, but I'm happy to help. I have had a season pass for about 10 years or so and I've been skiing at WF for a little longer. I can do some research too which would would be fun and educational. Not sure what kind of timeline you have in mind but I'm leaving for Revy at the end of the week and swamped with work before I go so I won't be able to contribute during the next couple of weeks.

There is no rush. It would really be just an update on the expansion since 2008.

I'd love to get it done in the next few months.

Back to Conditions. Tough year for WF. 1/28/24 Summit had the same # of trails open that they did on Thanksgiving weekend. The coverage was much worse on Parons yesterday than Thanksgiving too. Lots of rock poking through the left side where Follies comes out. It was kind of a neat inversion though, although it would have been even better if the sun had poked out. They had guns on Skyward but the temps were so much warmer up top they were blowing mostly water and the humidity made it even worse. It was nice to get down Victoria instead of Excelsior or lower Northway for a change, skiers far left on Victoria was quite good, skiers right no so much. Mountain run was edgable for the most part, but visibility was variable run to run. Fingers crossed for this weeks weather to allow enough coverage to get Skyward and Niagara opened up.

Attachments

• IMG_1903.JPG
    IMG_1903.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 46
Back