Whiteface Conditions

I asked when I got off shuttle and was told it was for rental customers and those taking lessons...
Your mistake was asking permission. I don't go there because that's the building where they do children's programs, but you're a grandmother, right? Find an out of the way spot on weekdays and bring cookies. You'll be fine.

mm

Anyone up there today? From following the Instagram and trail report, a ton of ropes dropped today that weren’t on my radar as being close. Thin cover or are the inches adding up?

Hadn't skied since last weekend and oh, what a difference. Great skiing today, very nice snow and finally lots of black terrain open. Looking forward to skiing the next couple of days.

The UMP amendment was in fact approved, but whatabout the reservoir?
Appears to be still conceptual.
There seems to be a lot of chatter about the need for the reservoir, given the snowmaking issues. I don't know where it fits in the priority order. It's entirely possible it never materializes. If you look at the maps on the UMP, there are lots of trails approved to be cut, but that have never happened. Those additional uncut trails may even exceed the 25 or 26 miles that they're allowed to cut.
I think it's a good approach to seek approvals to get a certain level of flexibility. It's unfortunate, though, that they don't share the plans - short term or long term - or the reasoning for the decisions.

If you listen to the Stormsking podcast that Aaron was on, it doesn’t take much reading between the lines to see that the UMPs are aspirational documents. Once they get out on the hill and start digging or cutting a trail, installing a new lift, etc, conditions on the ground change their ideas about what to do next.

There seems to be a lot of chatter about the need for the reservoir, given the snowmaking issues. I don't know where it fits in the priority order. It's entirely possible it never materializes. If you look at the maps on the UMP, there are lots of trails approved to be cut, but that have never happened. Those additional uncut trails may even exceed the 25 or 26 miles that they're allowed to cut.
I think it's a good approach to seek approvals to get a certain level of flexibility. It's unfortunate, though, that they don't share the plans - short term or long term - or the reasoning for the decisions.
Dumb question - is the entity that sets the UMP a government entity? In that case, some enterprising ski blog runner : ) could put in a Freedom of Information Law request for the documents . . . . Sometimes there are exceptions. For example, on the federal side, you can't (rightly) get information about an investigation.

Back