Whiteface Conditions

About what you'd expect today, given the recent weather, but, it beat sitting in the house doing nothing.

They were blowing snow on The Follies, and heard guns up on Thruway? Mountain Run? Approach? Couldn't really tell where.

Would expect that they'd move the guns to the "main line" trails after closing today, to get things in better shape for tomorrow, but who knows.
I heard of issues with the water intake for snowmaking. They have a couple of days before the next potential snowmaking window. I don't expect much new terrain to open before Christmas.
From what I heard, this is still an issue, but didn't get that from a source I'd trust completely. I guess we'll see over the next few days.

One other note ... not unexpectedly, the drop off point for The Notch led to quite a bit of carnage on the Boreen "headwall" ... yes ... I know ... Boreen doesn't have a headwall ... Anyway, I think they should rename that section of the trail ... Seems like "The Blender" might be a good name!

About what you'd expect today, given the recent weather, but, it beat sitting in the house doing nothing.

They were blowing snow on The Follies, and heard guns up on Thruway? Mountain Run? Approach? Couldn't really tell where.

Would expect that they'd move the guns to the "main line" trails after closing today, to get things in better shape for tomorrow, but who knows.

From what I heard, this is still an issue, but didn't get that from a source I'd trust completely. I guess we'll see over the next few days.

One other note ... not unexpectedly, the drop off point for The Notch led to quite a bit of carnage on the Boreen "headwall" ... yes ... I know ... Boreen doesn't have a headwall ... Anyway, I think they should rename that section of the trail ... Seems like "The Blender" might be a good name!
Couldn't they make the easy way around the head wall much more obvious. Unless you know it you wouldn't know if exists.

Couldn't they make the easy way around the head wall much more obvious. Unless you know it you wouldn't know if exists.
They weren't able to blow that before the crap weather set in. I'm sure they'll make it pretty clear once they can get it open ... for now, though ... ooooofffff!

I talked to a patrol today who said they could only run guns on Follies (which was closed but you could see the gun and results) as that was the only part of the mountain that got cold enough last night to do snowmaking. Given the natural snow (a dusting at bottom; maybe an inch and a half at top) that sounds legit but as someone else mentioned there was def carnage abound with afore mentioned dust on crust, low visibility (at times - sun peeked though in mid afternoon), and high traffic on main trails.

Agreed - you really had to bob and weave your way through there - it got skied off pretty quickly. The Notch definitely gives the ski school more beginner terrain to explore.

I skied yesterday too - same sentiment as Face4Me ....conditions were what you expected but after sitting in the house for 3 rain days, i was getting out no matter what. It wasn't too bad if you just accepted what it was. Good to be out.

Skied Sunday and Monday ... more of the same ... dust on crust ... same trails over and over ...

Seems pretty obvious that there must be a snowmaking issue ... they've been making snow for four days now on Approach, Upper Parkway, Upper Thruway and Draper's Drop. Also have a small number of guns still going on The Follies with a handful of fan guns going here and there.

Nothing happening on Essex, Victoria or Mountain Run (midway to the bottom), or anywhere else for that matter. No resurfacing of currently opened trails. As in year's past, current snow conditions can best be described as chocolate chip.

Looks like they're focused solely on having trails for racing at this point. Seems like we're back to the old days of making snow on one trail at a time. Nice to see how well taxpayer dollars have been spent. Not really seeing any improvements from all of this ...

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 10.40.55 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 10.41.04 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 10.41.11 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 10.41.19 AM.png

Reading the Gore thread, and the issues with the Gondola over there ...

New CEO ... New Season ... New Year ... same old shit.

Skied Sunday and Monday ... more of the same ... dust on crust ... same trails over and over ...
Seems pretty obvious that there must be a snowmaking issue ...
Put this up in The Belle thread.
Some quotes for posterity from Pratt’s last board meeting...

Seems pretty obvious that there must be a snowmaking issue ... they've been making snow for four days now on Approach, Upper Parkway, Upper Thruway and Draper's Drop. Also have a small number of guns still going on The Follies with a handful of fan guns going here and there.

Nothing happening on Essex, Victoria or Mountain Run (midway to the bottom), or anywhere else for that matter. No resurfacing of currently opened trails. As in year's past, current snow conditions can best be described as chocolate chip.

Looks like they're focused solely on having trails for racing at this point. Seems like we're back to the old days of making snow on one trail at a time. Nice to see how well taxpayer dollars have been spent. Not really seeing any improvements from all of this ...

View attachment 22470
View attachment 22471
View attachment 22472
View attachment 22473

FWIW, they were blowing on lower Mountain Run this morning.

FWIW, they were blowing on lower Mountain Run this morning.
Still blowing on lower MR today. Looked ready to me. I thought Upper Parkway was the run of the day. The natural snow was great but with so little open it was pretty crowded by 11AM.

That said, not much blowing anywhere else for a few days now despite great temps for snowmaking. I am really wondering what the issues are this time...

Back