Whiteface Conditions

Stu interviewed the head honcho at WF.
Was worth a listen.
I could swear I rode the gondi at Bell yesterday with Stuart. Guy sounded just like him.
Key Notes: AK was a mogul and freestyle skier that spoke up about only boarders allowed in parks way back when. Also about inverted aerials being allowed.
Lots of possibilities in the future for getting skiers from gondi to lower sky?, face lift upgrade?, no snowmaking on Empire is a thing, 300% increase in sales after Bear Den Lodge renovation, the mountain is friendlier to families and beginners now, some other good tidbits in there as well.

His background and communications skills are good.
There’s lots there.
WF has some kind of major snowmaking issue. Big weekend coming up and they are trying to fudge the trail count, looks desperate. Showing my favorite now open, Valvehouse Road and Connector which goes from Excelsior to Victoria, but Victoria isn't open? I know it's pretty much all we have up here but man it can be frustrating. Was the money spent on The Notch chair worth it?

WF has some kind of major snowmaking issue. Big weekend coming up and they are trying to fudge the trail count, looks desperate. Showing my favorite now open, Valvehouse Road and Connector which goes from Excelsior to Victoria, but Victoria isn't open? I know it's pretty much all we have up here but man it can be frustrating. Was the money spent on The Notch chair worth it?
They were blowing on Victoria today which is a little bit of a relief. There are definitely snow making issues. I have heard only speculation and rumors as to what they actually are. I wish they would just let us know what's going on, I really hate the whole "nothing to see here everything is great" attitude, but then again, like you say, it's pretty much all we have up here so they just don't seem to care. The optimist in me hopes that this will move the construction of a reservoir to the top of the money-spending list.

Whiteface...."increase in sales after Bear Den Lodge renovation, the mountain is friendlier to families and beginners now,".
On my 4th visit to Gore I finally got to use the Bear Cub Quad which was billed as Gore's "friendlier to families and beginners" improvement. And YES, it was exactly that. I enjoyed it and made huge gains in confidence. Now that the reliability issue has been resolved I see only one remaining issue. The Bear Cub Quad is a long way from the main lodge. It would be nice if there was a section of the rental / ski school building set aside for booting up, etc. It appears at Whiteface the Bear Den Lodge successfully addressed that very issue... convenience. Thumbs up.
Could someone offer a comparison between trails serviced by Gore's Cub Quad and Whiteface's Falcon lift? Whiteface is a longer drive for me but I am enticed by the descriptions of the Bear Den Lodge. I like and need Gore's Lower Sunway trails. Will I find similar trails at Whiteface off the Falcon Lift? And get to enjoy the convenience of the Bear Den Lodge.:)

I see only one remaining issue. The Bear Cub Quad is a long way from the main lodge. It would be nice if there was a section of the rental / ski school building set aside for booting up, etc.
Why can't ya just boot up in the Northwoods Lodge at Gore, if ya wanna, if yer skiing over there on that side?
The folks who work there are nice.

Why can't ya just boot up in the Northwoods Lodge at Gore, if ya wanna, if yer skiing over there on that side?
The folks who work there are nice.
I asked when I got off shuttle and was told it was for rental customers and those taking lessons. Was that incorrect ? When I was in the N Woods Lodge briefly I never saw an area that looked like a general public boot up area with bag storage. Of course after being told it was not a general public area I did not look very hard.

Could someone offer a comparison between trails serviced by Gore's Cub Quad and Whiteface's Falcon lift? Whiteface is a longer drive for me but I am enticed by the descriptions of the Bear Den Lodge. I like and need Gore's Lower Sunway trails. Will I find similar trails at Whiteface off the Falcon Lift? And get to enjoy the convenience of the Bear Den Lodge.:)
The Falcon lift at Whiteface has very similar difficulty trails to those off of Gore's Bear Cub Quad.

Falcon Flyer is 249 ft vertical and 1674 ft long. That works out to be an average slope of 15%.

Bear Cub Quad is 226 ft vertical and 1914 ft long. That's an average slope of 12%.

Both lifts serve terrain with very consistent slopes (no steep parts).

Give Whiteface a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Back