Whiteface Conditions

One thing at Bear's Den - they severely reduced storage \ shelving for bags. The middle room is now divided with the back part for rental overflow, removing all the bag storage there. That leaves one side wall that used to contain a tall, deep handmade wooden rack - it could hold a fair amount of bags - that has been replaced with a "not so deep" metal storage shelf. The wood rack was "2 bags deep" where as the new shelf is only "1 bag deep". There are signs every where about not storing bags on\under tables, against the windows\walls\ledges .....not sure where all the bags are going to go - there definitely is not enough room, They did create a new room that wasn't there before, its before the cafeteria. It was an existing room "behind the scenes". They busted through the wall to make an entrance to that room - I did not look in the room as it was used at the moment for the ski instructors - it is possible there are public racks in there ....hopefully.

We rode it a few times - in the morning, i swear...it had a new car smell :D
I always boot up at Bear's Den, so for me, I like it....i have seen Falcon Flyer get long lines with beginners and the lift slowing or stopping to help people. I've "hiked" up to Porcupine Pass if it's really jammed. Personally, The Notch will help me out.
Saturday skiing was beautiful ! There was some sun early on, I felt like the summit held up pretty good all day, same for the rest of the mountain. No complaints here - I feel like they have done a great job with what they have. Looking forward to next weekend and the start of the kid's programs.
Agree, Saturday was nice, spring skiing in December. We usually hike up Porcupine also, quicker than riding the Falcon just to get over to the Gondi. Nice view on the new Notch chair looking up at Mtn Run and Wildy.
Looked like they had hooked up some guns on Mtn Run Saturday pm, hopefully getting ready to blow soon.

Yesterday was sunny at the top with softening conditions through the day. Excelsior was....uhh....firm. Softer snow below Lower Valley.

Today was gray bit with soft snow all over. Almost hero-like.

I heard of issues with the water intake for snowmaking. They have a couple of days before the next potential snowmaking window. I don't expect much new terrain to open before Christmas.

Any intel from today?

Supposed to head up Xmas eve night to ski the next 2/3 days but thinking it may make more sense to just stay home and go to Belleayre. Need to decide by tonight if we’re going to cancel.

In my opinion, they don't have enough potential open trails to handle a holiday crowd.
I am sure they will crank out as much snow as possible but this past sunday night \ monday put a huge hurt on.
I will ski during the holiday week regardless since I am so close but it should be interesting.

Bluebird day with no wind. Whalebacks top to bottom on Excelsior, and good quality snow at that. Hopefully it pounds out well and is not too damp.
No snowmaking at all this morning. It's cold enough but not running. There seems to be enough snow on Approach but not enough on Mountain Run/Thruway for ropes to drop. Racers are on Lower Northway.

That snow did ground out nicely. One gun working today near the main pump house. A patrolled (I assume) was on Mountain Run. It looks like they were putting up pads on the towers.
If any terrain opens (IF!), it would probably be Approach - Mountain Run - Thruway - Draper's, with the upper part of Mountain Run open. There's no snow past the split to Thruway.

Approach - Mountain Run etc. is open. A good amount of snow on the trail, but it's not wall-to-wall. Like Brookside, Draper's is about half width, M.R. a bit more than that. Today may have been emptier than yesterday. Soft, hero snow. Let's hope it stays.

Been here at Whiteface last 3 days.

I was pleasantly surprised by condition of mountain Tuesday -- soft snow and decent visibility all in all. Wednesday was pretty good too. Come afternoon today, things had started to go downhill, so to speak, and there were more than a few folks on the hill over their skis given 1) poor visibility, 2) (small) bumps, and 3) thin cover and/or firmness (I wouldn't call it ice, at least not yet) in spots, including between bumps, all amidst some general slushiness. As usual the far sides of trails are in much better shape. Saw a kid with a bad cut over his eye and a couple ambulances. Patrol seemed busy -- folks were getting hurt. And while I wouldn't call it crowded, there were definitely more people on hill today than earlier this week.

The only blacks open, at least that I saw and rode, were Approach, Mountain Run, and Upper Thruway.

From summit, Follies was open Tuesday and Wednesday, but was closed today, putting more traffic on Riva to Paron's. Probably needless to say, all of Lookout is closed.

Headed back to mountain tomorrow. Planning to be here Saturday too but I've got a crew of high schoolers with me, some who are advanced beginners, and I'm concerned about thin cover mixed with bumps and icy spots following an early morning freeze of all "this" covered with a dusting of snow, with some wind added in to boot. May call it at 4 days.

Also likely needless today is the mountain needs 2', probably more like 3', to build a durable base. There are just a couple patches of snow here or there anywhere else on the mountain but the main runs that get priority snowmaking. It looks and feels like mid April.

Finally, today's (Thursday's) snow report made me chuckle -- sounds like the writer has had it as much as everyone else with the weather -- "We all have access to smartphones so there is no point in dwelling on the weather! What I would like to address is some of the comments about our lack of snowmaking these past few days. Now I’m just a snow reporter, and not a snowmaker so I don’t know all the science, but just like Mother Nature, we are unable to make snow if it is above freezing. Fortunately for you, we have opened 6 new trails and 1 lift in the past 2 days, and our groomers continue to work their magic all over the mountain!"

All in all, still much better than work. 10/10 and I'd do it again.

Back