The Truck Thread

It was the December 16th storm, if you were out you'll remember it was a weird one.

Next day.
1688935833351.jpeg

I'm not a fan of truck caps. I feel they limit the purpose of a truck, can't stand up in the bed, and hauling anything tall (thinking refrigerator, etc) is impossible. Water tight tonneau covers are the answer, and best of both worlds. They're also much cheaper that a good cap.

When it comes time for me to buy a truck, it will be a 3/4 ton regular cab, 8' box, with a tonneau cover. It will most likely be a new Chevy 2500 W/T. I refuse to spend the money for an extended cab, or crew cab. I don't need all the niceties, albeit they're cool, in any trim level above the W/T with steel wheels. I'll use the factory steel wheels as my winter set with 4 dedicated studded snows. I'll spend the money for remanned/used factory alloys for summer driving with a rather aggressive tread pattern.

I'm not a fan of truck caps. I feel they limit the purpose of a truck, can't stand up in the bed, and hauling anything tall (thinking refrigerator, etc) is impossible. Water tight tonneau covers are the answer, and best of both worlds. They're also much cheaper than a good cap.

This is kind of where I am coming from. I think.

Not sure I want expensive setup for camping that I am going to use just a few times.

I think you have a perception of caps as somehow low class or trashy or something and you’re just innately against it. They are extremely useful and shouldn’t stop you from bringing your garbage to the dump. Without a cap or something more substantial, a pickup is no good for camping. Sleeping under a tonneau is no bueno. Not just because it would be like sleeping in a coffin. They are not designed to be opened from the inside so you would have to leave the tailgate open which lets in the weather. God forbid some Good Samaritan wanders by and figures it was left open accidentally, closes it out of the goodness of his heart and traps you. You could pitch a tent in the bed I guess. That would be pretty close to sleeping in a pop up. I could envision a low platform in the bed so you could put your ski gear underneath and your tent and camping gear on top so that you could cover the whole thing with a soft tonneau while driving and just open it up and erect the tent when it’s time to sleep. Actually that could be pretty cool. Not at all stealthy though.

Edit:

Last edited:
I think it all depends how you use your truck. We've had caps on our last four trucks (2wd Taco, 4wd Mazda, 2wd Nissan, 4wd Taco - all RIP) and never regretted having one. Great for keeping stuff dry and contained and no problemo going to the dump. On the few times the cap was in in the way, it was a 20 minute solo job to remove it, same to put back on (though WAY easier with a helper). Probably harder with a full-size truck cap.

My first "ski" vehicle was a used 1977 Dodge Power Wagon W100 club cab with an 8 foot bed that i got in the mid 1980s. It had full time 4WD, a 3 speed stick plus granny gear, a 318 v8 and it was a beast. It was noisy, did not track at all on the highway, had about 4 inches of play in the steering and got about 10 mpg. I used to have to fill it up every 180-200 miles. By the time I got up to Gore from NNJ, it would take me hours to fall asleep. Still, it was incredibly useful. Eventually, I got an aluminum cap (still available) that made it more useful. See the link. That cap made the bed weatherproof and was pretty easy to remove if I needed to move something that did not fit inside the capped bed.
After about 4 years and lots of the Dodge rusting away, I realized awd cars could handle driving in snow as well as the truck and would provide a better driving experience on the highway with better gas mileage. I have had awd cars and 1 small suv ever since that pickup.

Today's pickups are completely different and drive like cars and have decent gas mileage. Adding a cap is probably the most useful thing you can do.

I think you have a perception of caps as somehow low class or trashy or something and you’re just innately against it.

If this is addressed to me, I'm not innately against it. That's why I asked. I actually think they look pretty cool. I just don't know how often I'll want it on, and how long it takes to get it on and off. I never imagined you could do it solo. You also need a place to keep it when it is off. (My guess is that I'd never take it off.)

Love this piece.

Today's pickups are completely different and drive like cars and have decent gas mileage. Adding a cap is probably the most useful thing you can do.

This is even more true now with small trucks being built with unibody and car-ish suspensions.

Back