The Truck Thread

This is something I’ve thought about a lot. You’re gonna end up with a Maverick so if you want to sleep in it, you will need one of the new breed of cap/camper hybrid. They are clamped to the rails like a cap but have a pop-up over-the-cab bed also.

We can go on all summer long about this and that and the other thing but if you want a truly small truck that does everything you want, this is the right answer.

They can be pricy. A buddy installed one recently; top of the line with matching paint. Cover alone was over $1250. Also, a hassle to remove if you need to carry anything substantial,

I have had great luck with a folding cover. Layers back in thirds, leaving 2/3 accessible. Easy to remove if you need the full bed, even fits in the extended cab section. Weathertight. Some can be secured. $500 or so.
This would work if you have a locking tailgate.

I had a four door Tundra about 10 years ago. Best way to describe what I had on back was a roll cover. Metal covered in vinyl. Was like a security gate you see small shop owners roll down at night. Exactly like that but on the top of the bed. Easy open and close. Mine wasn’t exactly water tight but it was an option. It was lockable and low maintenance.

Trying to sleep under a tonneau sounds terrible. You may as well sleep in a ski box on the roof. If there is any camping happening, you need a cap of some kind and if there’s no cab over bed involved, you need at least a six foot bed. While taking a slide in camper on and off is an option (they have mechanical jacks attached), I wouldn’t advise it with a cap but that shouldn’t be a problem. Just leave it on. If a normal cap is too low, you can get one with a higher roof. There’s also this option:

But you need a six foot bed so the smallest truck you can get away with is an extended cab Tacoma/Colorado/Frontier/Ranger. No Maverick or Jeep

You wanna go bro?!
Not sure I do, I get pretty sensitive when people judge me for the vehicle I drive...

My advise for @Harvey and anyone else considering truck bed camping in the winter is do not under estimate condensation. Sleeping in the Belle parking lot under my cap this winter was warm enough but anything in there got drenched by condensation and I even was keeping a window open. Makes multi-day trips pretty tough.

Not sure I do, I get pretty sensitive when people judge me for the vehicle I drive...

My advise for @Harvey and anyone else considering truck bed camping in the winter is do not under estimate condensation. Sleeping in the Belle parking lot under my cap this winter was warm enough but anything in there got drenched by condensation and I even was keeping a window open. Makes multi-day trips pretty tough.
What were the temps Like?
Is it worse than a tent?
it’s exactly the same

It was the December 16th storm, if you were out you'll remember it was a weird one. Sat right on the edge of freezing for nearly the entire night, humidity was super high so I'm sure that didn't help the condensation part. I had my zero degree bag and slept comfortable but my hair was wet to the touch in the morning.

20221216_070506.jpg

Back