The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is open vs closed right now?

This is part of the new normal I guess. No Ski Deals to report:

View attachment 3780

I was primarily speaking for my buddy who owns a bowling alley, but there are also bars that have been closed. I'd rather see them allowed to open, then leave it up to the owners and their patrons to follow the guidelines. If they don't at that point close them down. With the kind of numbers we're seeing here it makes sense, or at least to me, to let them conduct business. Friday we're going to one of our favorite restaurants, even though they don't have outside seating. We know the owner and know how serious he has been taking this. We made that decision based on the numbers we see along with knowing this guy won't be cutting any corners.

You ride with your family or people you agree to.

IMO this is the only method with a chance to work. Subject to a few questions:

What is that density? Can ski areas operate at that number, for one year, and stay solvent?

And of course, is that density compatible with distancing?

Camp
I agree with you 100%.
Harv
I don’t think distancing in the lift line will really be possible but as long as everybody wears a mask, I won’t be worried about catching covid. Inside the lodge is a whole different thing. That needs some hard logical thinking applied. Personally I’ll be booting up at the car and bringing lunch.

Right.

I assume Lodge/F&B revenue will be way down, just a fraction of a normal year.

I also assume that the lift loading method (you choose your group) is the only way that could work, from a customer perspective.

So, assuming it's just one season, how hard will it hit different ski areas? And will skiers spread covid by skiing?

I don't think we know. At least I don't.

Has anyone seen a mask specifically for skiing? One that you could keep on or pull down over your nose when you are apart?

I've been using my ski "buffs" as covid masks. I typically don't ski with one unless its sub zero but i guess I'll be wearing one this year (hopefullly)

Wonder how much of the transmission of was when golf was being played versus off the greens and fairways.

Does seem as if Columbina County is on top of contact tracing.

" . . .
One of the golf gatherings that led to the rise in active cases in the county was held the weekend of July 10-11 and another was held the following Friday, on July 24. Neither event was an organized tournament, Mabb said.
. . .
Officials believe that the golfers who spread the COVID-19 virus were not wearing masks or social distancing during the outdoor gatherings.
“This outbreak is the likely result of a group of friends getting together and not doing what they should have done when off the course,” Mabb said.
. . ."

Right.

I assume Lodge/F&B revenue will be way down, just a fraction of a normal year.

I also assume that the lift loading method (you choose your group) is the only way that could work, from a customer perspective.

So, assuming it's just one season, how hard will it hit different ski areas? And will skiers spread covid by skiing?

I don't think we know. At least I don't.

Has anyone seen a mask specifically for skiing? One that you could keep on or pull down over your nose when you are apart?
No need for a special mask for skiing. Any buff that is pulled up over the mouth and nose is fine. Best to have an extra or two and change if gets wet.

There are a few Australian ski resorts that have been operating since late June. One is owned by Vail Resorts, one is a destination resort on Ikon, and a couple others are smaller. I've been following closely on the Aussie ski forum (been around since the 1990s). There were no issues with COVID-19 in July. While Australia thought they had COVID-19 under control, recent outbreaks have shown that community spread had happened and was simply undetected.

Being outdoors makes a big difference in the likelihood of transmission by aerosols. Face coverings of any kind that cover nose and mouth make it that much less likely that someone who is infected and doesn't know it is going to spread virus in a way that someone else gets it into their body.

Like golf, the issue is less about what people are engaged in the sport and more about what they do . . . or don't . . . when at a resort but not skiing.

I had a talk with a Whiteface employee - skiing will be very different this year. They are still trying to figure out how to deal with people's ski bags, the cafeteria, how to serve food, how to sit people and how to run ski programs. They still need to figure out how to reduce the capacity of people in the lodges. If you are the type of person that gets ready at your car, has a lift pass and just jumps right on - probably business as usual. If you rely on the food, lodging or programs - you could be in for a good change. At this point, the gondola will run as well as the lifts, but they will no longer be forcing you to ride with other people. You ride with your family or people you agree to.
Much of it, is in limbo as they are waiting on guidance and instruction from New York State.

I feel for those schlepping kids around to begin with, the thought of it now would be enough for me to not even bother going.

Not much will change for me. I don't travel to ski and will continue to boot up in my living room then go skiing.

Feels like we are in a bubble here in the Catskills..

GreeneCo 8-5 .jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back