The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly I've been approached by a few folks ("Hey you're a skier right?...") wanting to know if they should take advantage of the pass deals (see Harv's Ad post) since they either don't think winter scholastic sports will happen and if they do, don't feel comfortable with their kid wrestling etc. I think a lot of people/families will be looking to start or resume skiing just like biking and camping this summer.... added demand and restrictions gonna be a shit show

Agree. I recommend a Plattekill pass.

The problem really isn't with us skiers and riders - we can mask up and be outside.. It's all the people that work at the ski areas needed to run the places..
When I was in CO when this shit broke - it was all the employees that were testing positive at Vail resorts not guests.

The problem really isn't with us skiers and riders - we can mask up and be outside.. It's all the people that work at the ski areas needed to run the places..
When I was in CO when this shit broke - it was all the employees that were testing positive at Vail resorts not guests.
To be fair though: If a guest picked it up at the resort, they were probably back home before they knew they were sick.

There were people who returned to Australia or Mexico after skiing at destination resorts in Feb who tested positive. I know of at least two Californians who were at Vail in Feb and had symptoms after returning home. One eventually confirmed with an antibody test that COVID-19 was the cause. The outbreak in Mexico City in March was clearly started by rich people who enjoyed their annual trip to Vail in late Feb. Some who died early on worked in those households after they went home and infected their families and small towns.

A positive test means a detected case. The entire problem with COVID-19 is how many people are infectious without knowing it because they have very mild symptoms, or mild symptoms that don't seem any different than a normal flu. They end up fine, but potentially infect others, and that increases the chance that someone who is at higher risk of moderate or severe illness ends up sick with COVID-19.

A lot of the problems also stem from the inaccuracy of the tests. False positives, False negatives, etc.

Edit: There are so many stories and studies to this effect, I was thinking of the Ohio Gov being pos one day and neg the next.

Then this pops up in a news feed 10 mins after my original post.

Last edited:
A lot of the problems also stem from the inaccuracy of the tests. False positives, False negatives, etc.
Even for good tests, timing is tricky. Someone who doesn't have symptoms might be infected but not have quite enough virus to test positive. A day or two after a negative test, they could well test positive but still be pre-symptomatic. Needless to say few people are going to keep getting tested every 1-2 days after they first suspect that they might have been exposed to COVID-19.

Have long since lost count of the different types of tests that the FDA approved on an emergency basis. Never mind the number of labs doing a specific type of test.

quarentineski.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back