The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m glad the schools are reopening. They completely dropped the ball on remote learning last year. There was no accountability and the kids were just pushed through to avoid conflict with parents. I consider schools essential. Imagine if cops or nurses didn’t show up to work. It’s the same thing.

My kids are in elementary school, myself and my wife work ....if they have any remote learning - it's not going to work for us, I can't be home schooling and working from home at the same time.

Those of you with kids how do you feel about school this year. Are you happy with the reopening plan? One local district is having 50% of the kids attending Mon, Tues, the other 50% attending Thur, Fri, and all attend Wednesday online. I know if I had kids I'd be very concerned about them going back.
Yeah I do as it stands now she will be back full time. I’m fine with it the numbers don’t support the panic. She has been going to daycare all summer without any problems at facility. I feel she needs to mingle to mature more than being stuck at home. Momma agrees that being quarantined dose more harm then good.

Those of you with kids how do you feel about school this year. Are you happy with the reopening plan? One local district is having 50% of the kids attending Mon, Tues, the other 50% attending Thur, Fri, and all attend Wednesday online. I know if I had kids I'd be very concerned about them going back.

In NJ, they'll release guidelines for the new school year next week. I don't want our daughter back in school full time, and I don't think that will happen.

Those of you with kids how do you feel about school this year. Are you happy with the reopening plan?
I realize you were asking for K-12 in NY. I'm past that but paying attention around Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill because I have friends with kids. Even though the local counties and Chapel Hill were going to open with hybrid plans, that changed with the increase in cases in recent weeks. Now all will be virtual for at least the first two months. Schools typically open by the third week of August in NC. So really too soon. The hybrid plans varied a lot. Durham was going to keep G9-12 virtual and use the high school buildings for K-8 students. Durham is essentially an urban county. The Wake County plan was 1 week in class and 2 weeks at home. Wake is a very large county with urban and rural areas.

All the Univ. of NC campuses are opening up a week early. Classes will run August 10 thru Nov. 20, followed by a long winter break. My daughter is at UNC Asheville, which is a relatively small college. Only 4000 undergraduates and very few grad students. She switched from living in a dorm suite on campus to a bedroom in a student apartment complex that goes with a private bathroom. She's taking four courses, and only one will meet on campus once or twice a week.

The plan for UNCA includes a "contract" of sorts that sets expectations. There is a fair amount of info on a special website for COVID-19 adjustments, including short videos. Obviously a lot of discussion since the spring. I'm pretty comfortable with the plans. Asheville has been doing reasonably well in terms of case counts. Plus we've been there a couple times during the summer so have seen first hand how people are acting.

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 3.26.49 PM.png

basil-and-wick - 1.jpg

B&W with the most friendly "Keep Out" sign

Food was good as always. Basically takeout, with a bunch of distant tables in the yard, welcome to use them.

Maybe a little weird, but good at the same time.

Yesterday on the way home, I stopped at Woodstock Brewing in Phoenicia. I was comfortable with the distance between outdoor tables. There's restaurants in NJ where the tables seem way too close together.

That's pretty close to our plan too.

So yea I'm concerned.

Personally, I'm with some of you, the whole isolation thing doesn't change my life very much. I'm getting more exercise too.

Our schools also announced a similar schedule. I'm definitely concerned for her safety and, of course, our entire families as a result. I would hope that the schools took this summer to ramp up the ability for distance learning. I mean, either way there was going to be some form of it for this coming semester, if not the entire school year.

As for me, if I'm not skiing or biking, I am fine with just my dog and a few of life's other comforts.

I'm suppose to start a cooking job for a college on Aug 17th..Who knows how all that will play out...

Hope it works out for you jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back