The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like it went down, then back up.
C8A8990F-8D40-4AB1-B092-FF4A53DDB499.jpeg

It looks like it went down, then back up.
View attachment 7044
The majority of the deaths were in very different regions between March and May, as compared to September thru November.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 9.09.23 PM.png

I don't think the flu shot has ever had better than a 50 percent efficacy rate. That's a solid F, if you look at it in terms of academic grades, for as many years as they have been pumping it out. That's where my skepticism comes in. However, if the COVID vaccine is looking to be at 97 percent effective, I'm all in.
Except the flu shot is not an academic test - it is a way to decrease your odds of getting the flu. Also, the flu shot can lower the severity of the flu if you do get it.
I will be getting the covid vaccine as soon as possible.

I don't think the flu shot has ever had better than a 50 percent efficacy rate. That's a solid F, if you look at it in terms of academic grades, for as many years as they have been pumping it out. That's where my skepticism comes in. However, if the COVID vaccine is looking to be at 97 percent effective, I'm all in.
My impression is that flu shots are designed to cover a deliberate subset of all possible flu strains. Which means predicting in advance which ones are likely to be more common for an upcoming flu season. Very different from a vaccine designed to deal with one specific coronavirus.

My impression is that flu shots are designed to cover a deliberate subset of all possible flu strains. Which means predicting in advance which ones are likely to be more common for an upcoming flu season. Very different from a vaccine designed to deal with one specific coronavirus.
Exactly. I believe that they predict the strains in the spring, and hope for the best. Also, last I knew the flu vaccine doesn't help prevent the flu, it only lessens the chances of you being hospitalized.

I never used to get the flu vaccine, but then I had a great ski season one year and figured that I could do whatever I could to have another great season the following year. Priorities. :)

I listened to a continuing education program on COVID for nurses last night. (I live with a board certified registered nurse-dominatrix,) There was a lot of good information.

The flu vaccine is 60 or 70% effective in a good year, less in other years. It prevents the spread of disease and may reduce the severity. It didn't keep me out of the hospital 2 years ago.

The US the highest per capita number of infections and deaths in the world. Worse than Brazil, worser then Turkey. Some of the treatments still touted by wingnuts are competely ineffective. Reading between the lines, it was a real indictment of public health leadership.

Vaccines are the answer.

Expect between 80 and 100 thousand COVID deaths by the end of the year.

mm

The first time I had a flu shot, I felt like crap for a couple days after. Since then, no worries. And no flu. I'll be getting a 'Rona shot but I'm prolly way down the priority list.

The first time I had a flu shot, I felt like crap for a couple days after. Since then, no worries. And no flu. I'll be getting a 'Rona shot but I'm prolly way down the priority list.
Since you brought up the priority list . . . here's what people started fiddling with recently. Even had a relative email the link to the entire extended family. My husband is a bit older than I am and has underlying medical conditions that put him at high risk if he gets COVID-19. The modeling puts more than twice as many people ahead of him compared to me. Even he has a pretty long wait given the population of North Carolina and how many doses are likely to be available this winter. He'd be much closer to the head of the line if we lived in Salt Lake City County in Utah.

The modeling wasn't done by the NY Times, but by some research lab. What the article provides is a much simpler front-end with only a few pieces of input data required: Age, County, front line profession? (no, health care, teacher, etc.), Health Risk (Yes/No).

Dec. 3, NY Times
Find Your Place in the Vaccine Line

* * * * EXAMPLE OF THE ANSWER USING NY TIMES ARTICLE
Based on your risk profile, we believe you’re in line behind XXXXXX people across the United States.

When it comes to NAME OF STATE, we think you’re behind XXXX others who are at higher risk in your state.
And in NAME OF COUNTY, you’re behind XXX others.

Since you brought up the priority list . . . here's what people started fiddling with recently. Even had a relative email the link to the entire extended family. My husband is a bit older than I am and has underlying medical conditions that put him at high risk if he gets COVID-19. The modeling puts more than twice as many people ahead of him compared to me. Even he has a pretty long wait given the population of North Carolina and how many doses are likely to be available this winter. He'd be much closer to the head of the line if we lived in Salt Lake City County in Utah.

The modeling wasn't done by the NY Times, but by some research lab. What the article provides is a much simpler front-end with only a few pieces of input data required: Age, County, front line profession? (no, health care, teacher, etc.), Health Risk (Yes/No).

Dec. 3, NY Times
Find Your Place in the Vaccine Line

* * * * EXAMPLE OF THE ANSWER USING NY TIMES ARTICLE
Based on your risk profile, we believe you’re in line behind XXXXXX people across the United States.

When it comes to NAME OF STATE, we think you’re behind XXXX others who are at higher risk in your state.
And in NAME OF COUNTY, you’re behind XXX others.
I'm *almost* a senior citizen, but in reasonably good shape. Current line of work, in NJ wine stores are considered an essential business, LOL. Not nearly as essential as health care / first responders.

Speaking of essential work, the local grocery store is so desperate for help that they've significantly raised starting hourly rates. Unclear if they're losing people to normal turnover or covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back