The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure, I'd guess a combo of both. I just got a text from her, "It's pure hell". Not only is she and her co-workers physically exhausted, they are mentally exhausted. The bruises on her face from all the PPG is down right sad. I know, without a doubt, I could not do what they do.
Absolutely the mental strain of constant stress with 11-12 hr days with gravely sick people with no relief in sight and having to deal with more patients as a result of some people's inability to self regulate is enervating

I have been keeping track of COVID cases at Cornell since mid-August, when they created their dashboard. In the past 6 weeks, the number of staff/faculty cases has pretty much equaled the students' cases.

This afternoon, I start supplemental testing. It's completely optional, because I work from home, but I think it's a good idea.

WP

I'm not sure, I'd guess a combo of both. I just got a text from her, "It's pure hell". Not only is she and her co-workers physically exhausted, they are mentally exhausted. The bruises on her face from all the PPG is down right sad. I know, without a doubt, I could not do what they do.
You’re with a good woman Camp. She’s on the front lines. Let me know if I can help y’all out.

I get the New York Times digest (email) every morning. It's free, and it's got links to articles, the idea is if you click on them you'd need to subscribe to read the full article. So it's promotional.

I used to read the NYTimes every day, we had a company subscription to the printed edition. But some genius cancelled it. Since then I only read the digest.

The digest is, in my opinion, some of the most valuable free content you can get. Because this content is free and Times will be ok will me reposting this excerpt from todays email about the potential vaccination timeline. Also I left in all the links.

Who goes first?​

A panel of scientific advisers yesterday released its initial guidelines for who should receive the first coronavirus vaccines — recommendations that will influence states’ policies across the country.

The obvious question on many people’s minds is: When can I expect to be vaccinated? While there is still a lot of uncertainty, it’s possible to lay out a rough expected timeline. I’ve done so below, with help from public health experts and colleagues who are covering the virus.

December: Health care workers and nursing home residents will likely be the first people to receive the vaccine, as the panel recommended.

Up to 40 million doses could be available to Americans before the end of this year, from a combination of Pfizer’s and Moderna’s vaccines. That would be enough to vaccinate the three million people who live in long-term-care facilities, as well as most of the country’s 21 million health care workers.

January: Keep in mind that both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines require a second dose a few weeks later to be effective. So an initial batch of 40 million doses would be enough to vaccinate only 20 million people.

By early next year, Pfizer and Moderna are likely to be able to ship about 70 million doses per month, Moncef Slaoui, a top federal vaccine official, told The Washington Post yesterday. People will likely receive the shots at doctor’s offices, hospitals and pharmacies, as well as at specially created clinics in some places, my colleague Katie Thomas says.

February and March: The next priority groups are likely to be people over the age of 65 (and especially those over 75); people with medical conditions that put them at risk of death if infected; and essential workers, like those in education, food, transportation and law enforcement.

One exception to this second wave of vaccine recipients may be people who have already had the virus, making them immune from it for at least some period of time.

If other companies in addition to Pfizer and Moderna receive approval for their vaccines, the total number shipped each month could reach 150 million by March, Slaoui said.

April, May and June: The most likely scenario is that even people who don’t qualify as a priority — like healthy, nonessential workers younger than 65 — will begin receiving the vaccine by the spring. The vast majority of Americans could be vaccinated by early summer.

Once that happens, life will still not immediately return to normal, partly because the vaccines are not 100 percent effective. “There will still be risks to people,” as Caitlin Rivers, a Johns Hopkins epidemiologist, told me.

But those risks will be small compared with today’s risks. Treatments continue to improve, reducing the death rate for people who get the virus. And widespread vaccination will sharply reduce the spread, helping protect even people for whom a vaccine is ineffective. Rivers predicted that social gatherings will again be common and largely safe by the summer.

All things considered, the spring isn’t that far away, which is yet another reason for people to make extra efforts to avoid unnecessary risks — like eating inside restaurants and gathering indoors with friends — for the next few months.

You’re with a good woman Camp. She’s on the front lines. Let me know if I can help y’all out.

Thanks tirolski, really. I think the only thing we (non front line workers) can do is appreciate those who are. I had a glass of wine ready for her when she got home last night. That seemed to help ;)

I get the New York Times digest (email) every morning. It's free, and it's got links to articles, the idea is if you click on them you'd need to subscribe to read the full article. So it's promotional.

I used to read the NYTimes every day, we had a company subscription to the printed edition. But some genius cancelled it. Since then I only read the digest.

The digest is, in my opinion, some of the most valuable free content you can get. Because this content is free and Times will be ok will me reposting this excerpt from todays email about the potential vaccination timeline. Also I left in all the links.

Who goes first?​

A panel of scientific advisers yesterday released its initial guidelines for who should receive the first coronavirus vaccines — recommendations that will influence states’ policies across the country.

The obvious question on many people’s minds is: When can I expect to be vaccinated? While there is still a lot of uncertainty, it’s possible to lay out a rough expected timeline. I’ve done so below, with help from public health experts and colleagues who are covering the virus.

December: Health care workers and nursing home residents will likely be the first people to receive the vaccine, as the panel recommended.

Up to 40 million doses could be available to Americans before the end of this year, from a combination of Pfizer’s and Moderna’s vaccines. That would be enough to vaccinate the three million people who live in long-term-care facilities, as well as most of the country’s 21 million health care workers.

January: Keep in mind that both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines require a second dose a few weeks later to be effective. So an initial batch of 40 million doses would be enough to vaccinate only 20 million people.

By early next year, Pfizer and Moderna are likely to be able to ship about 70 million doses per month, Moncef Slaoui, a top federal vaccine official, told The Washington Post yesterday. People will likely receive the shots at doctor’s offices, hospitals and pharmacies, as well as at specially created clinics in some places, my colleague Katie Thomas says.

February and March: The next priority groups are likely to be people over the age of 65 (and especially those over 75); people with medical conditions that put them at risk of death if infected; and essential workers, like those in education, food, transportation and law enforcement.

One exception to this second wave of vaccine recipients may be people who have already had the virus, making them immune from it for at least some period of time.

If other companies in addition to Pfizer and Moderna receive approval for their vaccines, the total number shipped each month could reach 150 million by March, Slaoui said.

April, May and June: The most likely scenario is that even people who don’t qualify as a priority — like healthy, nonessential workers younger than 65 — will begin receiving the vaccine by the spring. The vast majority of Americans could be vaccinated by early summer.

Once that happens, life will still not immediately return to normal, partly because the vaccines are not 100 percent effective. “There will still be risks to people,” as Caitlin Rivers, a Johns Hopkins epidemiologist, told me.

But those risks will be small compared with today’s risks. Treatments continue to improve, reducing the death rate for people who get the virus. And widespread vaccination will sharply reduce the spread, helping protect even people for whom a vaccine is ineffective. Rivers predicted that social gatherings will again be common and largely safe by the summer.

All things considered, the spring isn’t that far away, which is yet another reason for people to make extra efforts to avoid unnecessary risks — like eating inside restaurants and gathering indoors with friends — for the next few months.

I wonder how many gazillions of dollars will be made on this, and who will make it. Sorry to sound syndical but that's just me.

Surely Moderna and Pfizer will score billions. But they did take some risk, although I'm sure much less than normal because I'm sure they had US Govt money to fund this effort.

IMO the REASON this has happened "so fast" (feels like forever, but it is much faster than usual, average for a new vaccine is 4 years) is because of the potential to make billions, and the govt also removed a lot of red tape.

The real rub, again IMO is that those billions that will be made are relatively little compared to the 3 trillion we've already spent on economic rescue. This may is one of the best investments the govt has ever made, assuming we are all vaccinated by June.

Surely Moderna and Pfizer will score billions. But they did take some risk, although I'm sure much less than normal because I'm sure they had US Govt money to fund this effort.
From the NYTimes: "In July, Pfizer got a $1.95 billion deal with the government’s Operation Warp Speed, the multiagency effort to rush a vaccine to market, to deliver 100 million doses of the vaccine. The arrangement is an advance-purchase agreement, meaning that the company won’t get paid until they deliver the vaccines. Pfizer did not accept federal funding to help develop or manufacture the vaccine, unlike front-runners Moderna and AstraZeneca."

IMO the REASON this has happened "so fast" (feels like forever, but it is much faster than usual, average for a new vaccine is 4 years) is because of the potential to make billions, and the govt also removed a lot of red tape.

The real rub, again IMO is that those billions that will be made are relatively little compared to the 3 trillion we've already spent on economic rescue. This may is one of the best investments the govt has ever made, assuming we are all vaccinated by June.
The reason it happened so fast is that government took all the risk. The ordinary drug approval process is: find a drug > lab tests > clinical trials> scale up manufacturing> distribute. Each step is costly and requires approval before committing to the next. For this vaccine, manufacturing began before approval or even before complete clinical trials, because the government guaranteed the purchase.
If the government is the only buyer, normal economics don't apply. The government will tell the drug companies what they will pay (ask anyone who has a business that depends on Medicare patients), and that will be far less than what a market price would be if twenty different insurance companies or foreign governments had to separately negotiate for a vaccine that would restore normal life.
But yeah, $1.95 billion is a bargain, even if it only ends the pandemic a few months earlier.

mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back