The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d honestly prefer to leave race out of the discussion. A changing climate is going to make skiing more expensive and exclusive. This is about income brackets more than race. At this point it’s pretty obvious that journalists love getting into divisive race topics unfortunately.

Unpopular opinion, I’m not a fan of wealthy white people anf their nonprofits to get underprivileged youth out to try skiing. It’s almost like a slap in their face to show off how the others live and enjoy their lives. Seriously, how many poor, inner city kids will actually take it up after an organization liked Stoked takes them on their first ski trip? I bet close to none. There’s better ways and much more beneficial ways to actually help them imo. I don’t know but the whole idea to me has a rich, out of touch white person vibe to me.

I’d honestly prefer to leave race out of the discussion. A changing climate is going to make skiing more expensive and exclusive. This is about income brackets more than race. At this point it’s pretty obvious that journalists love getting into divisive race topics unfortunately.

Unpopular opinion, I’m not a fan of wealthy white people anf their nonprofits to get underprivileged youth out to try skiing. It’s almost like a slap in their face to show off how the others live and enjoy their lives. Seriously, how many poor, inner city kids will actually take it up after an organization liked Stoked takes them on their first ski trip? I bet close to none. There’s better ways and much more beneficial ways to actually help them imo. I don’t know but the whole idea to me has a rich, out of touch white person vibe to me.
While I agree that there is an income/socioeconomic aspect to it, it is really hard for me to appreciate how much “representation” matters to people’s decision to be involved. Most skiers and snowboarders in magazines, advertising, in the Olympics and the xgames have the general skin color that I do.

I agree that the percentage of kids who, after getting a chance to try out snowsports thru a program like you described, actually take up the sport is probably very very low.

At the same time, as a chaperone of my kids’ elementary school (largely white small town) Winter Program, where we got to go to Loon every Tuesday afternoon for 5 weeks in January…..I’d say the rate of new lifelong skiers created is really low too.

The kids whose parents ski already had some experience and ability and got to go rip around together for the afternoon…..the kids who had never been got to flail around the bunny slope, with their jeans under Walmart bibs, tucked into rental boots, and a snowboard instructor from South America or maybe a teacher or spare chaperone to try to interest them.

So it just kind of reinforced socioeconomics I hate to say.

Reactions: MC2
The guy is a complete entitled ass hole! Not the sharpest security either. Just grab him by the legs or arms and drag him out of there and have the fat guy sit on him until the cops come.

Do I think masking outdoors on ski lifts is silly, yes! But you follow the fucking rules of ownership or you stay home!

Most skiers and snowboarders in magazines, advertising, in the Olympics and the xgames have the general skin color that I do.
Yeah, but the faces of the Olympic athletes (when unmasked) show's diversity.
Kinda like kennel club shows.
I ❤️ all kinds of dogs and have favorite breeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back