The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost to the "new normal" in Virginia. The "mask required" or "mask recommended if not vaccinated" signs are gone from the doors to public areas. Apparently mask requirements only for another 10 days for employees. Very few people in the lodge were masked. Given the typical people at Massanutten, vaccination rates are probably fairly high among travelers. Locals are probably a mix of vaccinated and those with natural immunity at this point.

At this point, there are very few statewide mask mandates. In fact, there are only 4, those being Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Illinois, and all but Hawaii have set end dates. There are still a lot of local ones though. My concern is that given the seasonal nature of the virus, that blue states will reinstate these mandates every winter. The CDC has floated the idea of changing their recommendations, but I have mixed feelings about that. The current recommendation of masking in counties with substantial or high transmission is ludicrous. In New York, we've been above that threshold for 22 of the last 24 months. In fact, that metric is so ludicrous that even the craziest blue state governors are willing to ignore it. If the CDC were to change their metrics, then I think it still gives these mayors and governors reason to slap the masks back on every winter, and then it becomes a never-ending cycle. On the other hand, more reasonable metrics would give more of the reprieve to the few jurisdictions that actually follow them, like Los Angeles County for instance.

Spanish Flu didn't go on this long, with as severe restrictions. Largely because they either didn't work, or were not feasible for multiple years. Spanish Flu ended when everyone got infected and had natural immunity. There was no vaccine, and it killed a lot more people on a per-capita basis than covid has. To say otherwise is revisionist history.

One of the things that really bothers me is how this state prioritized ineffective, yet visible measures that had little to no impact, such as mask mandates and vaccine passports. What really would've saved lives are efforts to make sure anyone who's over 60 or otherwise especially vulnerable gets all 3 vaccine doses. That's harder to do, but something that other countries did quite well. Also useful would've been efforts to increase healthcare system capacity so it doesn't get overhelmed during seasonal waves. This is something New Hampshire actually did. They cut through red tape to streamline nurse licenses, which alleviated staff shortages at hospitals at the height of the winter surge. They also have probably the highest vaccine rate of any purple state, and some of the lowest covid death rates in the country. They also had far less restrictions on businesses than nearby states, and now they have the strongest economy in the Northeast. Whatever they're doing is working.

first the spanish flu went on for more then 3 yrs
you can move to Florida , there were zero cases and zero restrictions..
also not one case was reported in Wyoming either..so there are many place to go

. My concern is that given the seasonal nature of the virus, that blue states will reinstate these mandates every winter.
It’s winter now and there are no more mandates.

But keep being scared of things that might happen in the future. Especially things that cause, at most, a minor inconvenience to you. It’s a great way to go through life, constantly concerned about next winter’s flu season. In the middle of summer, you’ll be at some barbecue whining about the possibility of mask requirement for two weeks around Christmas in airports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back