The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The off season is spring and fall. Summer is WAY WAY WAY more crowded by far than winter.
Yup.
When we went to Montana to visit relatives living on the rez,
folks would say, there's 2 seasons, Winter and Relatives seasons.

Only ever been there in June, July or August.
Folks sat around the campfire by the pond wearing winter coats on the 4th of July one time when we were there at pow wow time.

Last edited:
Rules like wearing a face mask on an outdoor lift makes all rules look ridiculous because it's following neither science nor common sense. This dumb ass rule has the completely opposite effect of its intent.
I didn't bother to play this video. I have an idea what happens.
That particular incident happened at Blue Mountain, in Ontario. I believe there is a government mandate requiring masks at ski resorts, even outdoors. In this particular case, I think it was a mistake to escalate it the way security did. If they just let him go, none of this would've happened.

That particular incident happened at Blue Mountain, in Ontario. I believe there is a government mandate requiring masks at ski resorts, even outdoors. In this particular case, I think it was a mistake to escalate it the way security did. If they just let him go, none of this would've happened.
The guy knew the rules before he went to the mountain. If he couldn't conform to the rules then he should have stayed home--- then zero chance for any incident let alone escalation. The fact that both you and I think masking, especially outdoor masking is silly at this point, is totally irrelevant--- you follow the rules or don't go. The entitled ass hole inconvenienced potentially a hundred or more people stuck on the lift and waiting in line and he didn't care--- another great example of selfish conduct.

Finally, yes there were far better ways to handle this by the mountain/security. Don't run the lift until he complies or removes himself from the line. Pull his pass etc--- then he's done and with less confrontation.

Last edited:
So you're going for the "If only he complied" argument. Well there comes a point where enforcing compliance is more disruptive than just letting it slide. The least disruptive thing to do in this scenario would be to do nothing. Then no one is stuck on the lift or in line, and security doesn't have to tackle him. It's the same reason that police sometimes call off pursuits.

Real mix when it comes to masking indoors in the Berkshires and in Queensbury, NY. Catamount has no signs about masking, and very few people are masked. Berkshire East has signs about masking indoors and people were doing that in the morning. But by lunch time probably only 50% were masking. In the afternoon, that was down under 20%, perhaps only 5%. No signs on doors about masking at West Mountain. In the outlets in Queensbury, only a few stores requiring masking. In particular LL Bean. No masks anywhere else we went in that little mall or the one next to it.

Killington is around 20% still masked in the lodges. Same for guests and staff. I'm glad they allowed employees to go unmasked as soon as they allowed it for guests. They also added these signs at the gondolas.

20220220_083006.jpg

So you're going for the "If only he complied" argument.
I was going for if only he wasn't an asshole argument.
Nobody disagrees that the mandate is/was stupid. The issue, as I see it, is the only ones with something to lose are the business owners. They're the ones who have to enforce dumb mandates and if they don't face penalty. Now that's stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back