The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
What hope is there for young people really? I’m 46 and practically right there with them. I’m not kidding, I’m about tapped out on energy for giving a f anymore. The only thing that keeps me going at this point are my girls and trail building.
I realize that it’s hard to quantify it in our society, but that’s more than a lot of people have, tbh. A legacy of sorts. Don’t sell yourself short. - fellow 46 year old

What hope is there for young people really? I’m 46 and practically right there with them. I’m not kidding, I’m about tapped out on energy for giving a f anymore. The only thing that keeps me going at this point are my girls and trail building.
Not to sound completely insensitive, and I'm asking to sincerely understand, but how is Covid impacting your day to day life in AZ? Isn't that the wild west where there's almost no rules? My mom is going to AZ in less than a month to be with friends and the current expectation is life will be pretty normal at the resort--- and this is from talking to others.

Even here in NY, skiing in western NY is 100% normal and only masks in the lodge. Lifts are being loaded to full capacity and singles are loaded with others. If I want to go to a pub for a beer or dinner with my buddies I can do that. I can go to a pub and watch live music as I did a few weeks ago. Aside from a few places requiring proof of vaccination that's about it. Ok so if I get up from the bar or my table to take a leak they request we were a mask--- that barely budges my annoyance meter.

My 20 something children are working their careers, getting together with friends and living life rather normally. I don't get the doom and gloom.

Jan/Feb 2022 isn't even close to what we were going through in 2020 or early 2021, not even close.

What hope is there for young people really?
During the height of the financial crisis a small business owner (IT systems integrator) once told me, "chaos breeds opportunity." There's a lot of chaos around these days.
Also, studying history helps. Imagine being born in 1898? You have WWI where you probably served, saw the Great Depression (likely when you had young kids or teenagers), saw Al Capone, then saw WWII, followed by the Cold War, Polio et.al. was a constant threat.....
Today there are all sorts of flatteners. Anyone can create a web site, cellular technology, interest rates are low, literacy high, threat of war and famine almost non existent. The world's short and near term problems are obvious, go solve them and make some money and be happy.

Not to sound completely insensitive, and I'm asking to sincerely understand, but how is Covid impacting your day to day life in AZ? Isn't that the wild west where there's almost no rules? My mom is going to AZ in less than a month to be with friends and the current expectation is life will be pretty normal at the resort--- and this is from talking to others.

Even here in NY, skiing in western NY is 100% normal and only masks in the lodge. Lifts are being loaded to full capacity and singles are loaded with others. If I want to go to a pub for a beer or dinner with my buddies I can do that. I can go to a pub and watch live music as I did a few weeks ago. Aside from a few places requiring proof of vaccination that's about it. Ok so if I get up from the bar or my table to take a leak they request we were a mask--- that barely budges my annoyance meter.

My 20 something children are working their careers, getting together with friends and living life rather normally. I don't get the doom and gloom.

Jan/Feb 2022 isn't even close to what we were going through in 2020 or early 2021, not even close.
I wasn’t talking about covid. It’s more about the relationship between drug use and an unhealthy society and extremely grim outlook for the health of the planet that supports us.

We at least have tacos and dogs still

Last edited:
^^Fact.

But people are more weary of the whole thing now.

I'm not down on my own, but many around me are. Empathy for them makes it harder for me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back