The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang in there Sno. Hoping for better days ahead.

Devil’s advocate here…..what schools are vaxxed 100%? And what schools are “locking down”?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/16/us/politics/colleges-covid-coronavirus.html

The psychological effects you are feeling are a result of the tearing of the social fabric and the smashing of the social contract taking place in society right now. We all feel it. No one state or political party is more or less responsible, and no generation is more or less susceptible.

Last edited:
Ya might wanna fix yer 2nd sentence 1st point..
More older folks died than any other age group.
A lot of em weren’t allowed to see their own folks.
Amen.
If anything, this pandemic taught me that life is finite, and you might as well enjoy the time you've got. Trying to wait it out might've worked for several months, but not for several years like is happening now. I know of situations where people didn't visit elderly relatives because they were concerned about giving them covid, and before they had the chance to, they died, either from covid or another cause. It's a terrible situation. Once I was vaccinated, I never hesitated to do anything I would've done in 2019, and that includes visiting elderly relatives.

Devil’s advocate here…..what schools are vaxxed 100%? And what schools are “locking down”?
Johns Hopkins has full remote instruction and shut their dining halls. Yale didn't allow students to eat out at restaurants. Pretty much every college has a vaccine mandate, yet they have the same restrictions they did last year. These two I think even have booster mandates, like the entire SUNY system.

The psychological effects you are feeling are a result of the tearing of the social fabric and the smashing of the social contract taking place in society right now. We all feel it. No one state or political party is more or less responsible, and no generation is more or less susceptible.
That happened because we moralized getting sick with covid, and taking precautions to avoid it. And yes, both political parties did it. What I mean is if you get covid, it has been considered a moral failing, like you did something wrong to end up getting it, and if you didn't take every precaution to avoid it, you were selfish and wanted others to die and extend the pandemic. Likewise, in some social circles, you're considered a "sheep" for getting vaccinated. None of this is ok. Everyone has their own risk tolerance, and to a certain extent that should be respected.

If anything, this pandemic taught me that life is finite, and you might as well enjoy the time you've got. Trying to wait it out might've worked for several months, but not for several years like is happening now. I know of situations where people didn't visit elderly relatives because they were concerned about giving them covid, and before they had the chance to, they died, either from covid or another cause. It's a terrible situation. Once I was vaccinated, I never hesitated to do anything I would've done in 2019, and that includes visiting elderly relatives.

Johns Hopkins has full remote instruction and shut their dining halls. Yale didn't allow students to eat out at restaurants. Pretty much every college has a vaccine mandate, yet they have the same restrictions they did last year. These two I think even have booster mandates, like the entire SUNY system.

That happened because we moralized getting sick with covid, and taking precautions to avoid it. And yes, both political parties did it. What I mean is if you get covid, it has been considered a moral failing, like you did something wrong to end up getting it, and if you didn't take every precaution to avoid it, you were selfish and wanted others to die and extend the pandemic. Likewise, in some social circles, you're considered a "sheep" for getting vaccinated. None of this is ok. Everyone has their own risk tolerance, and to a certain extent that should be respected.
The social fabric comment was intended to extend the scope of the conversation beyond strictly Covid, because we were well on our way before Covid, before Trump, before twitter. All these things have merely exacerbated the situation. It goes way beyond moralizing related to covid.

I did not realize the SUNY mandate, no longer being a New Yorker. I live in a college town, in a proudly libertarian-leaning state with a centrist Republican Governor. I think our local school is at 80% vaccinated. Aside from masking in public campus spaces I don’t think much else is being enforced. Admittedly, your other examples are of super elite schools with massive endowments. They can afford to play by whatever rules they want. 3rd tier state schools can’t necessarily.

My issue is specifically the lack of any plan for an exit from this nightmare. No proactive thinking (other than imprisoning the population) or action plan to open society up again.

While there is a small minority on both ends of the political spectrum who have made their priorities clear, the vast majority of the population in the middle are neither scared to death of this virus nor determined to disregard the well-being of others because they feel their "rights" are being violated. As a resident of the middle, this pandemic is over as far as I'm concerned and I'm going to live my life that way. Sure I'll mask up if required and I've been vaccinated. I will not stick vaccines in my arm every 6 months to satisfy some political hack who hangs their hat on "following the science". Frankly, these people have no idea what they are doing. Their constant backtracking and policy changes prove that. No idea what to do.

I live in my personal bubble with my family and close friends. We are fortunate that none of us have gotten sick but I realize now that is the result of good living and staying healthy. I have always lived that way. You will never see me on an airplane, cruise ship, movie theater, broadway theater, sporting event or any other activity that involves being around crowds. I don't like people that much! I would take this far more seriously if all of those activities were shut down. But that won't happen because then we wouldn't be "following the money" which seems more important to our "leaders".

I'm going to stop because I'm sure I've offended some and that is not my intention. I hear the nags and henpeckers
warming up the keyboard.

Pro tip: never relocate to somewhere because of your perceived notion of the ideals of a place. Once your boots are on the ground, complexities you didn’t game out will present themselves.

But yes, NH.
I actually just went there a couple weeks ago to try and get the lay of the land. I'm not going to just pick up and move and expect everything to be perfect, but the fact is that New Hampshire is far less covid obsessed than New York, and it is very likely I would be happier there. This virus isn't going away, and I'm worried there are going to be recurring restrictions every winter in New York.

I actually just went there a couple weeks ago to try and get the lay of the land. I'm not going to just pick up and move and expect everything to be perfect, but the fact is that New Hampshire is far less covid obsessed than New York, and it is very likely I would be happier there. This virus isn't going away, and I'm worried there are going to be recurring restrictions every winter in New York.
NYC is the only "covid obsessed" area; just avoid cities and you'll be fine.

My issue is specifically the lack of any plan for an exit from this nightmare. No proactive thinking (other than imprisoning the population) or action plan to open society up again.
Exactly. I think exiting from this nightmare would require many to admit they were wrong, and they don't want to do that for obvious reason.

While there is a small minority on both ends of the political spectrum who have made their priorities clear, the vast majority of the population in the middle are neither scared to death of this virus nor determined to disregard the well-being of others because they feel their "rights" are being violated. As a resident of the middle, this pandemic is over as far as I'm concerned and I'm going to live my life that way. Sure I'll mask up if required and I've been vaccinated. I will not stick vaccines in my arm every 6 months to satisfy some political hack who hangs their hat on "following the science". Frankly, these people have no idea what they are doing. Their constant backtracking and policy changes prove that. No idea what to do.
I posted earlier how the spectrum with regard to covid divides into roughly 5 categories. I won't repost but it's in this thread. I also have a different spectrum with what I call "covid hawks" on one side (those in favor of stricter measures) and "covid doves" on the other (those who are opposed to all restrictions). You're not necessarily locked in one place on that spectrum. Before vaccines, I considered myself cautious, though not to the extent of many (I worked in an office). I agree that the pandemic is over as far as I'm concerned, which is why I oppose all restrictions. They are unnecessary when everyone has access to vaccines.

NYC is the only "covid obsessed" area; just avoid cities and you'll be fine.
Except that we have a statewide mask mandate, so you're not fine if you avoid cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back