The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a simple request to look at your coronavirus post. If the word skiing is in it put it in the other thread.
"Skiing" wasn’t in either Left it here and deleted the text copied.
It wasn’t hard.
No problemo.

More of the long story in the other thread is the friend I drove to the urgent care is 94.
He was back golfing again about 10 days after the stitches went in.

Last edited:
As some of you know, I've been discussing the pandemic on the Aussie ski forum all along. That is a huge forum that's been around since 1995. There is an entire subform for the "Rona." There are Aussies living in Canada, the USA, the UK, and Europe who participate in the discussions.

Recently quite a few of the regular Aussie posters about the pandemic who are fully vaccinated have tested positive. Presumably with Omicron. Also seen posts about friends or family who tested positive in the last few weeks. The most common story has been about young adults who went to social gatherings or events over the holidays or are roommates with someone who did. The common result is often 4-5 days of minor symptoms while socializing with their friends who are also positive. One man has been very careful and didn't visit his elderly parents since early 2020. Finally went recently. His parents (fully vaccinated) were socializing with friends over the holidays . . . and got COVID-19. Masking is not that common around Australia because keeping the borders closed meant people believed COVID-19 could be kept out. Not just international borders. There are a couple Australian states keeping out non-resident Aussies.

An Aussie who is an ex-pat in London said something like 18 of about 40 of his co-workers have tested positive. They are mostly WFH so the exposure was from personal contacts, not work.

Hopefully vaccination with any of the approved vaccines plus recovery from Omicron will be good protection against another COVID-19 infection for quite a while. (Australia started with Astra Zeneca but many people got Pfizer.)

Have posted this graphic before but it still applies even with vaccinations. The concept came from the UK in 2020. Applied for Delta after vaccination was more common but even more relevant with Omicron.

The idea is to stay in the green as much as possible. Only difference in 2022 is that some of the yellow boxes for outdoors and low occupancy that include masking probably could be considered green for anyone who is vaccinated. Outdoors and High Occupancy is harder to say with Omicron.

Risks masks ventilation.jpg

Hopefully vaccination with any of the approved vaccines plus recovery from Omicron will be good protection against another COVID-19 infection for quite a while.
Huzzah!

Vaxxed, boostered, antibodies from having the virus…..hoping that sets me up well for my ski season!!

Been hearing about more and more breakthrough cases that are undoubtedly Omicron. Locations have included Washington state, California, New England, the UK, Australia, New Zealand. Meaning first hand reports by people on ski forums who are regular posters and fully vaccinated. Includes some of the elderly parents of the poster. No one is talking about symptoms for more than a week or so in these cases.

Also saw a post from an ER doc in Washington who said that while many people are coming to the ER and testing positive in the last 10-14 days, few have needed to be admitted. Don't know if those are vaccinated or unvaccinated people though.

My oldest sons family has it again. They had it last year when they lived in KS . Got vacations over the summer and now living in AZ got it last week. She said she feels worse with this go-round.
They’ve been stressed out with the move and working crazy hours,I’m sure that doesn’t help.

She was exposed to someone 7 days before testing positive.So much for the 5 day recommendation.

My oldest sons family has it again. They had it last year when they lived in KS . Got vacations over the summer and now living in AZ got it last week. She said she feels worse with this go-round.
They’ve been stressed out with the move and working crazy hours,I’m sure that doesn’t help.

She was exposed to someone 7 days before testing positive.So much for the 5 day recommendation.
I presume the person she considers the source tested positive. The 5-day recommendation is to isolate starting the day of a confirmed positive test. Then mask diligently for another 5 days. I think the only way to test positive is to have been infected for at least a day or two.

Was it a rapid antigen test or a PCR test?

I presume the person she considers the source tested positive. The 5-day recommendation is to isolate starting the day of a confirmed positive test. Then mask diligently for another 5 days. I think the only way to test positive is to have been infected for at least a day or two.

Was it a rapid antigen test or a PCR test?
Rapid was negative PCR was positive. She is bouncing back quickly thank goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back