The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to get political - while I am not a Cuomo fan - i think his fast, decisive action when this hit saved upstate NY. I think he did the best action he could and it helped. I agree you cannot overwhelm the hospital system or you are in big trouble. But I still feel at this point, we could be more open until the hospital rate potentially goes back up.

Call me surprised that the northeast has been able to keep numbers (relatively) low while other parts of the country are struggling with this.

I was looking at the numbers this morning and the worst places (FL, AZ) do seem to be improving a little.
I'm less surprised. But then I was watching what happened in Europe in Feb-Apr very closely. Each country handled the situation differently for assorted reasons. The same happened in the U.S. in Mar-May, more or less by region in addition to individual states. Every time I got curious why a given state or county looked bad, it didn't take long to figure out what type of outbreaks were happening or why the Positive Percent was staying relatively low.

Warning: Going into lecture mode. Xenforo makes it much easier. :)

Back in late Feb, an international company held a big meeting in Boston. Biogen failed to understand what was happening in Italy and elsewhere in Europe. As a result that meeting became a “super spreader” event in multiple states, including North Carolina where Biogen has a large office. Given that was my professional industry and where I live, I paid attention when I saw the first headline with "Biogen" and "Boston" in it. I knew by the time my daughter flew to Boston in early March that COVID-19 was spreading. After she came home on March 12, my family stayed very close to home for about six weeks.

April 12, NY Times
How a Premier U.S. Drug Company Became a Virus ‘Super Spreader’
Biogen employees unwittingly spread the coronavirus from Massachusetts to Indiana, Tennessee and North Carolina.

It was pretty easy to anticipate when a state/region was starting to get into trouble. The surprise for me has been CA and WA. But in those states, it's subregions that caused numbers to spike during the summer.

The general difference in July-August all over the U.S. and Europe is that a much larger number of people ages 20-50 tested positive. Lots of reasons, including more awareness and easier access to tests for people who aren't already really sick. But as demonstrated by the Maine wedding, still deadly to high risk people when more people get infected who aren't trying to protect others by wearing face masks or keeping their distance.

The quickest way I've found to get a sense of all the states is to check rt.live. Things were starting to head in the right direction a month ago. But then a lot of colleges started the fall semester. What's below is just a sample of the state graphs. Can click and see more data for a given state, such as number of Positive Tests and Test Volume.

We'll see what happens by mid-Sept after the Labor Day holiday weekend. I was out at lunch time today and there was a lot of traffic heading out of town.

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 3.52.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 3.53.29 PM.png

Last edited:
I assume there will be headlines about the fact that the large AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine global trial has been put on hold. There was a single case with a serious adverse event in the UK that requires more investigation. Pausing enrollment for a large vaccine trial is common and to be expected when there isn't a lot of safety data yet. I think the goal is to enroll 30,000 people worldwide.

Sept. 8, STAT News
AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine study put on hold due to suspected adverse reaction in participant in the U.K.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/08...d-adverse-reaction-in-participant-in-the-u-k/

Not to get political - while I am not a Cuomo fan - i think his fast, decisive action when this hit saved upstate NY. I think he did the best action he could and it helped. I agree you cannot overwhelm the hospital system or you are in big trouble. But I still feel at this point, we could be more open until the hospital rate potentially goes back up.

100% agree. With schools just starting to get back in session maybe it does make sense to give it a couple more weeks. Then the muzzle needs to come off, imo.

Its really catchy. I know a girl that lives with 5 others. One person went to a party in buffalo. Came back to the house. All 5 have covid. I've been looking for the numbers in her town and they don't jive. The should change the color of peoples profiles on facebook for the people who have covid. It was to slow they way they are doing it. People don't want to come forward and say they were near an infected person cause they don't want to quarantine. At least it they saw there buddy had covid they would lay low for a bit.

100% agree. With schools just starting to get back in session maybe it does make sense to give it a couple more weeks. Then the muzzle needs to come off, imo.

camp i have to disagree..i'm totally used to wearing a mask..no biggie , personally it should be forever..i don't want to smell someones bad breath or even catch the common cold.. but who am I?

camp i have to disagree..i'm totally used to wearing a mask..no biggie , personally it should be forever..i don't want to smell someones bad breath or even catch the common cold.. but who am I?

LOL --- My comment was more in line with opening businesses back up that wearing masks. If a place requires a mask and I want to go there then I'll wear one. If masks aren't required I still may wear one, dunno, I guess every situation is different. People should be able to decide what they want to do and not the Gov.

That is pretty interesting. The way I read that, most states are doing much better, but many are not quite good enough.
Did you click on the buttons for the past 1 month, 2 months, 3 months? Easy to see that July and August were bad in most states. We don't quite have 50 experiments going on, but probably at least 30 or 40 quite different approaches. More consistency in the northeast than any other region, partially because the states are smaller in area. What I call "cultural" reasons are noticeable between regions such as the southeast in comparison to the west coast or midwest. Not as different as the countries in Europe, but still enough to make a different for how people think about public health recommendations.

A comparison of the obesity rate by state would probably show some strong relationships to statistics related to COVID-19. Obesity and diabetes clearly put people at higher risk if they catch COVID-19. Easy to find stories of young adults in the south who died relatively soon after being infected involve obesity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back