The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Maine wedding thing was nuts...
And getting nuttier. The pastor who officiated apparently flies all over to preach. He's tested positive. There are cases at his home church since he continues to hold regular services with no precautions in spite of clear restrictions in Maine.

Making news outside the U.S. too. First I heard that the man is originally from NC. <sigh>

Sept. 8, Daily Mail (UK)
Pastor who officiated Maine wedding that led to three COVID-19 deaths and 147 infections welcomes people to his church AGAIN despite 10 parishioners testing positive - and he's now working with a high-profile lawyer

I'll be more specific. A few weeks ago I attended a tractor pull and had a blast. There's a story behind this year's event. This tractor pull is a fund raiser for the local volunteer fire department. When they called the county for the permits the county said that because of COVID they would have to cancel this year's event. Well, one of the firefighters is an attorney and called BS. He said call them back and tell them we're having a peaceful protest. After that call they got their permits.
I think it's time, or real close to not having to deal with that. To be honest once I heard that it made me want to go even more.

And getting nuttier. The pastor who officiated apparently flies all over to preach. He's tested positive. There are cases at his home church since he continues to hold regular services with no precautions in spite of clear restrictions in Maine.

Making news outside the U.S. too. First I heard that the man is originally from NC. <sigh>

Sept. 8, Daily Mail (UK)
Pastor who officiated Maine wedding that led to three COVID-19 deaths and 147 infections welcomes people to his church AGAIN despite 10 parishioners testing positive - and he's now working with a high-profile lawyer
Its sad but I guess u can't trust anyone and just assume everyone might been in contact with someone who has it.

Here in Hudson Valley NY seems like most people now feel this way.

Its sad but I guess u can't trust anyone and just assume everyone might been in contact with someone who has it.
Not entirely a matter of trust. Bottom line is that there have been a fair number of people all over the world who have been contagious with COVID-19 who never had symptoms that they noticed as something different from a cold or an allergy. Pre-symptomatic people are can be shedding virus for 2-7 days. So supposed someone starts minor symptoms on Day 5, and has no more symptoms by Day 8. It might not occur to then until weeks later that they might have had COVID-19.

Few people will bother to do an antibody test. Even if they did, there is some chance of a false negative. In any case, by the time someone confirms they were infected, they won't be contagious any more. At least not for while. The length of time someone who has recovered is immune is not really known yet. Can't know if it lasts for a year when SARS-CoV-2 hasn't even been around that long.

The entire point of mandating face coverings is to decrease the chance of spreading COVID-19 if most people are wearing them. Goal is source management, not so much preventing a mask wearer from being infected although wearing a mask can help. Combined with hand washing and keeping away from strangers in settings in the red in the table below is a good way to reduce the risk of catching COVID-19.

face mask graphic 2 people.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 3.42.53 PM.jpg

camp i have to disagree..i'm totally used to wearing a mask..no biggie , personally it should be forever..i don't want to smell someones bad breath or even catch the common cold.. but who am I?

HA ! I said the same thing to my wife ---i said if you take a step back and really look at it --wearing a mask in public makes perfect sense.

I feel like it's a numbers game..
I've hung out with people in small groups and close friends(bandmates) - masks inside the house keep apart outside. I've gotten tested twice after having to go down to NYC to do some stuff. I didn't want to risk bringing it back to the mountain top(Hunter/Windham)... We've actually had friends up that were recently tested and hung out without masks .. We're figuring it out.

Simple : follow medical advise : not science denier quacks, radio or tv talk show hosts, reality tv types or joe sixpack with his medical degree from Dr Google University

Seems pretty clear more people are wearing face masks regularly all across the U.S. For that matter, in Europe too. The comparison in the article below is made to a similar survey done two months before. The change is pretty clear. Not surprisingly, less change in the northeast since mask usage was already relatively high by June.

August 27, Pew Research
More Americans say they are regularly wearing masks in stores and other businesses

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 11.22.40 PM.jpg

Prior to the return of SUNY

8.18.jpg

Now that SUNY has been back

8.19.jpg

God I hope this town doesn't have to shut down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back