The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an adult daughter with a compromised immune system so stats don't mean shit, I hope the same for her...

There is a death in Maine that is directly traceable to an indoor wedding in early August with about 60 people, more than the limit currently allowed. So clearly just having rules isn't enough. The question is how to get more people to understand what's risky behavior and what isn't.

That wedding is now responsible for 143 cases and one death. The pastor from the wedding brought it back to his church and infected people. AND he doesn't give a fukc because he loves liberty. Good thing there is no god...

I still remember the dark times in NYC last spring. Friends who were working in hospitals were not doing well with the influx of cases. It was hard...

Here's the deal to put these numbers in come comparison:

US Covid deaths - 185k
US WWI deaths - 116k
US WWII deaths - 405k
US Korean War Deaths - 36k
US Vietnam deaths - 58k
US Afghanistan war deaths - 2200
US Iraq War deaths - 4500

Plus don't forget, these covid deaths are over a 6 month period. These wars were all over a period of about 4 or more years.

I have an adult daughter with a compromised immune system so stats don't mean shit, I hope the same for her...
Yep, it's worrying about family members at higher risk for whatever reason that's tough.

My husband has more than one underlying medical condition that puts him at high risk. Luckily he's smart enough to stay safe, but also enough of an optimist and not a worrier so that he doesn't feel the need to stay housebound. He stayed home in March and April while we kept reading and learning about COVID-19 from multiple sources. I and my daughter did the shopping and brought back reports of what made us feel comfortable enough and the places to avoid. Meaning before any sort of face mask requirements in NC or by major retailers.

Luckily our neighborhood is mostly pretty sensible people and has more than enough supermarkets. He won't starve when I go on ski trips without him this winter.

US Covid deaths - 185k
US WWI deaths - 116k
US WWII deaths - 405k
US Vietnam deaths - 58k

Plus don't forget, these covid deaths are over a 6 month period. These wars were all over a period of about 4 or more years.

Damn

Here we go

Now if we can find something statistically valid about the total number of cases perhaps we can get a better estimate of actual death rate....+/-3% maybe?;)

I found a couple different studies/estimates (which are now several months ago old) that indicate actual cases are likely 2 to 3 times the confirmed reported cases.
For the number of cases, may have to be +/- 10%. ;)

I've read from 2-3 times to as much as 10 times higher in terms of cases that are/were not detected by PCR testing. Of course, lots of variability by geography around the world. That's one reason I'm interested in situations where sampling is done, whether on a campus or a town or whatever subpopulation where mass testing is totally impractical.

Cornell has 47 active cases and 100 kids in quarantine, resulting from a couple of parties. The students came back 11 days ago.

US Covid deaths - 185k
US WWI deaths - 116k
US WWII deaths - 405k
US Vietnam deaths - 58k

I feel that the focus on death, may leave something out. In a war, they talk about the casualties and the wounded. The idea that all is well if you didn't die certainly hasn't been proven. At this time we really don't know too much beyond the fact that some who survived are not well.

I just got back from a doc visit. Spoke to a woman who was doing covid testing. She told me she personally had administered 600 tests, given to asymptomatic people, and only one had come back positive. Call me surprised that the northeast has been able to keep numbers (relatively) low while other parts of the country are struggling with this.

I was looking at the numbers this morning and the worst places (FL, AZ) do seem to be improving a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back