The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
darn kids

darn kids

LOL
I dunno it's hard to blame it on the students alone. It seems to me that the powers to be at SUNY Cortland should be held as responsible, if not moreso than the kids. I think everyone knew our numbers would go up when the students returned. It feels like the powers to be could've enforced COVID guidelines better than they did. There we're quite a few mass gatherings early when they should've been quarantined.

Hope not for everyone's sake . So damn hard to convince some to be responsible especially "some "college kids who feel they are invincible . Most will comply but unfortunately with this age group they often underestimate the nature of asymtomatic spread

I know i am a dinosaur , but i am very happy to be retired and no longer in the college business., some very painful decisions lie ahead .

I thought they would opt for strictly distance learning ,however realisticaly and frankly so many smaller or second tier colleges are overly dependent on tuition and fees lacking the endowment corpus to handle downside risk . A second or god forbid subsequent surges will see more of those institutions fail and the subsequent economic ripple effect in many small college towns will be enormous .

Hope not for everyone's sake . So damn hard to convince some to be responsible especially "some "college kids who feel they are invincible . Most will comply but unfortunately with this age group they often underestimate the nature of asymtomatic spread

I know i am a dinosaur , but i am very happy to be retired and no longer in the college business., some very painful decisions lie ahead .

I thought they would opt for strictly distance learning ,however realisticaly and frankly so many smaller or second tier colleges are overly dependent on tuition and fees lacking the endowment corpus to handle downside risk . A second or god forbid subsequent surges will see more of those institutions fail and the subsequent economic ripple effect in many small college towns will be enormous .

That's the slippery slope we're dealing with. Our town's economy depends so much on these college kids but, where do you draw the line between economy and the well being of it's citizens. I was hopeful that remote education would take place and the kids would stay in their dorms, my guess is we're only a week or so away from that.

One thing the college did was close it's basketball courts, so, the college kids went to the public parks to play hoops. Makes sense to me, but then the city shut down the parks (again) because they were getting too much foot traffic. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Numbers going back down!!! Props to SUNY Cortland kids for caring

1.png

SUNY Oswego going in the wrong direction. 223 cases and climbing, suspending in person classes for two weeks.

Plattsburgh seems to be doing well. Testing thousands of students, no new cases.

When daily numbers are low, meaning under 20 or so, then contact tracing can be effective to find asymptomatic people and get them out of circulation.

My daughter is in a 3BR/3BA apartmen student apartment. The way the complex works is you lease a bedroom/bathroom and don't need to know roommates. My daughter only sees her roommates in passing every so often. Can't really say they've become friends. The senior who's been in the apartment since July had to get tested in early Sep because her BF's roommate had tested positive. She didn't interact with that young man much at all, and he wasn't really a friend of the BF either. But to be cautious she was asked by Student Health to get tested. No recommendation for her roommates to be tested unless she tested positive, which was considered unlikely. Took a few days to get the results, but happily she was negative.

UNC Asheville has about 4000 students and so far only 15 detected cases, with never more than 5 students in quarantine/isolation. They are set up to handle 100.

Other UNC and NC colleges are doing okay too, including a few with around 15,000 undergrads. But clearly the schools with football teams and Greek houses are having a harder time keeping things under control. That seems to be true all over the country.

Cornell is doing well. They were even featured on Good Morning America, apparently. Of course, I was out birding when it aired. ;)

Here is their dashboard. I started a spreadsheet, because the dashboard doesn't track numbers the way I want to see them. There have been 118 cases since August 28.

Cornell is doing well. They were even featured on Good Morning America, apparently. Of course, I was out birding when it aired. ;)

Here is their dashboard. I started a spreadsheet, because the dashboard doesn't track numbers the way I want to see them. There have been 118 cases since August 28.
That's good. One of my daughter's classmates from NCS is at Cornell. Family lives in LP.

I started a Google sheet for UNCA. Since the numbers are so small, they don't have any sort of past history or graphics.

These are the type of graphics I like to see. This is based on data for one colleges in the midwest that started classes in early Sept. Plenty of testing and relatively few positive tests except for a couple days in the first week or so.

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 2.37.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 2.37.22 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back