The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I don't have little kids any more, and even my friends' kids that I ski with are old enough to be vaccinated, I don't care too much what vaccinated folks do. However, my husband is in the high risk group that probably needs another shot. That should be approved by FDA and recommended by CDC before next week. So I'm masking up more when I go shopping just to be extra careful.

Plus I've read enough stories about people who were breakthrough cases. Meaning people who had symptoms. With full vaccination, still possible to have feel pretty bad for several days. I'd rather keep the risk of that happening as low as possible.

When traveling, at this point I am cautious and assume anyone who is unmasked is unvaccinated. That means they could be contagious and have no clue. At least that's how I'll be think when driving up to Lake Placid in the next week via I-81/I-88. Did that last summer and had little trouble keeping safe. It's about situational awareness.

Nobody is trying to address peoples concerns. They’re just vilifying the other side. That just causes people to dig in. We always hear “we need to have a conversation” about whatever the topic of the day might be but nobody ever has a conversation about anything. That would require listening to people that disagree with you, which seems to be a dead art.
Are you thinking about online discussions or in-person conversations?

I don't know people who are anti-vax because of misinformation. But I've need carefully discussing vaccination for months with two people I have monthly appointments with for personal health and care. I have enough history talking with them so that they would listen. They were hesitant but for very different reasons. In the last couple months, both have gotten vaccinated. In one case, her employer (small business) said that if everyone got vaccinated then they wouldn't have to mask up at work. In the other, he was ready to read more recent articles about the vaccine development and Delta. I'd sent a few articles to him back in Fall 2020 too.

I am fully satisfied.

Same here. I'm convinced that getting vaxed is the right thing to do, for many reasons. A co-worker of mine isn't and we've talked about it more than once. He claims he's still waiting to see if those of us that are vaxed start dropping like flies. Seems weird to me, but hey, I know I've done weird shit before too, so there's that.

Are you thinking about online discussions or in-person conversations?
I guess both but mainly the “national conversation” I’d like to see less partisanship and acrimony and more detail from real researchers. When we keep seeing the same people over and over again and can predict what each and every one of them is going to say, that’s not useful. If somebody tracked down a couple of the people that started researching MRNA twenty years ago and laid the groundwork for what we have now, that would be more effective

I am fully satisfied. I don’t need to be convinced. My whole family is vaccinated. I’m suggesting ways to convince young women who are concerned about how it affects their reproductive ability, whatever is causing 50% of the Bronx’s population to not get the shot. I don’t know how to overcome religious objections to vaccines but maybe they could be convinced to wear a mask. If having recovered from it doesn’t provide immunity somebody should be out front explaining why and citing the research. Nobody is trying to address peoples concerns. They’re just vilifying the other side. That just causes people to dig in. We always hear “we need to have a conversation” about whatever the topic of the day might be but nobody ever has a conversation about anything. That would require listening to people that disagree with you, which seems to be a dead art.
There have been reasonable conversations since the vaccines became available. I know this because I was paying attention in order to make decisions for my family. Now there is a group of people that would rather listen to ANYBODY but the people who know about vaccines. These clowns would rather believe a Russian psyops meme on FB than the US CDC.

Stop pretending that there has been name calling and vilifying from scientists. The only fraud is coming from certain politicians and lawmakers and their supporting charlatans.

Now please excuse me so I can go back to listening to the Mets game in my head because of the 2 Gates chips that were injected into me when I got my vaccines.

To me the clearest data are the hospitalization numbers (%) on vaccinated vs unvaccinated. The information I've seen seems pretty convincing. But that data doesn't seem to be convincing anyone who wasn't already convinced.

I've had covid and it was brutal. I guess that means I've got co-morbidities. Still not willing to say oh well, I'm not healthy enough to deserve to live.

Everything is a gamble. Driving a car. Skiing. Whatever. If I get long term side affects, I'll might never know if they are from covid or the vax. But if it is from the vax, I won't beat myself up about it. I made the call and I'll live (hopefully!) with it. We've got a three pack a day smoker in our company who doesn't want to come back to the office because she is concerned about the health risk. We all make our own judgements.

IMO it's unfortunate that people view this vaccine differently than the 15 shots they had to get to go to kindergarten.

There have been a few deaths related to the vaccine. It’s “New”
is an impediment to a lot of people.

I waited some time for the vaccine but was motivated by my business partner getting covid
I used to tease him about being fat an overweight and a goner if he got it. He still hasn’t fully recovered his sense of taste from three months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back