The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, he doesn't remember those days. That's just it.
Of course I remember that.

Doesn’t mean I want to go back to those days, or deal with smokers on planes, have asbestos in my walls, have CFCs in my fridge, etc.

Someday, maybe you guys will realize that regulation is sometimes good.

Also, fucking get vaccinated, Johnny. Christ.
BCEEEBB5-4EEF-4BE4-BA9D-34205B5B1D68.jpeg

I spoke to a head hunter today. (One of our employees has chosen to retire vs come back to the office in Sept.)

He and his wife were vaxed, and got covid recently, from their son. They were sick for about 10 days, same as me. But unlike me, they were able to work (WFH) through it.

I keep saying that we are all in this great experiment, but I am starting to get tired of it.

WTF do I do about the fact that I know that one of my coworkers is unvaxxed, had a family member that died of COVID this past week, was probably in contact with a bunch of other family members because of the funeral, who I am guessing are antivax and I have another coworker that will be sitting with her in a shared space, although 6 feet apart???? At least Cornell is making masks mandatory, but I still feel like this is a complete shit show. If I were my coworker who had no idea what was going on, I would be super pissed.

Looking forward to this COVID bullshit to be over too.
It will never be over. It’s just not possible to vaccinate enough people to prevent new variants from developing among the unvaccinated. That’s true even if anti-vax ignorance goes away.
It took 200 years to eliminate smallpox. Polio is almost eliminated after 70 years.
Expect to need a new COVID vaccine every year or so for the rest of your life.

mm

I spoke to a head hunter today. (One of our employees has chosen to retire vs come back to the office in Sept.)

He and his wife were vaxed, and got covid recently, from their son. They were sick for about 10 days, same as me. But unlike me, they were able to work (WFH) through it.
Yep, that's the advantage of getting vaccinated for COVID-19. If someone does get enough exposure to pick up COVID-19, much more likely to have milder symptoms than if they were unvaccinated.

The best data I've found so far about breakthrough cases is by KFF. Like NBC, they asked for data from states. Webpage has a table with the numbers for anyone interested.

" . . .
The data reported from these states indicate that breakthrough cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are extremely rare events among those who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (see Figure 1). The rate of breakthrough cases reported among those fully vaccinated is well below 1% in all reporting states, ranging from 0.01% in Connecticut to 0.29% in Alaska.

• The hospitalization rate among fully vaccinated people with COVID-19 ranged from effectively zero (0.00%) in California, Delaware, D.C., Indiana, New Jersey, New Mexico, Vermont, and Virginia to 0.06% in Arkansas. (Note: Hospitalization may or may not have been due to COVID-19.)
  • The rates of death among fully vaccinated people with COVID-19 were even lower, effectively zero (0.00%) in all but two reporting states, Arkansas and Michigan where they were 0.01%. (Note: Deaths may or may not have been due to COVID-19.)
. . ."

WTF do I do about the fact that I know that one of my coworkers is unvaxxed, had a family member that died of COVID this past week, was probably in contact with a bunch of other family members because of the funeral, who I am guessing are antivax and I have another coworker that will be sitting with her in a shared space, although 6 feet apart???? At least Cornell is making masks mandatory, but I still feel like this is a complete shit show. If I were my coworker who had no idea what was going on, I would be super pissed.

This is a tough spot to be in. Are you bound by some kind of confidentiality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back