The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you noticed more people masking in the last week? The local news started covering the cluster a couple weeks ago.
Back in ny 75 % of the pp wear masks indoors
On the cape it’s more like 25% if that
0% of the older people mask up

Thanks @MarzNC I hope you are right, just a media fixation on reporting breakthroughs. I saw a story yesterday, the first one I've seen, about a vaxed person who got hit hard. (haha in marketing we call that "focus group of one" meaning not statistically relevant).

About to go pick up our daughter from camp. They called last night, someone in her cabin tested positive. She tested negative, not sure what kind of test or whatever.

What's really scary is that 74% of those 450 plus infected out on the Cape were fully vaccinated. I am still wearing a mask indoors. No reason not to. Not a big deal to me but getting Covid certainly would be!

I never stopped wearing a mask indoors. Seems like it is probably coming back.

What's really scary is that 74% of those 450 plus infected out on the Cape were fully vaccinated. I am still wearing a mask indoors. No reason not to. Not a big deal to me but getting Covid certainly would be!
Still should keep in mind the denominator. There were 60,000 people at the 3-day July 4th festival. Hard to know what the percent vaccinated was but say it was 50%. That could mean 30,000 people unvaccinated and potentially infectious . . . without knowing it. Vaccinated people who later tested positive probably spent several hours inside bars in close contact with a lot of unvaccinated people. Everyone was probably unmasked. Was probably pretty loud. So the amount of Delta floating around was high on Day 1. By Day 3 the number of people infected had already grown, but most people still had no idea they had COVID-19. In short, everyone had major exposure to a variant that replicates faster and hangs around in an infected person's nose longer . . . without giving them noticeable symptoms.

As in 2020, not really that hard to avoid exposure that puts someone at high risk of getting infected. Being vaccinated greatly decreases the likelihood of being infected under normal day-to-day living. That's what the efficacy results of the large clinical trials showed in 2020. But being vaccinated was never going to provide 100% protection against major exposure. Healthcare folks still need PPE at work. People who get flu shots still sometimes get the flu, but have milder symptoms because of the vaccination.

Anybody remember these graphics? Can't remember if I posted them here or not. The table came from the UK. Probably should consider that avoiding close contact actually means close contact with someone who isn't vaccinated or that is a stranger.

Risks masks ventilation.jpg

Japan 3Cs.jpg

Last edited:
Oddly, I'm having the most discussion online about the pandemic with Australians. Just ignore my ramblings if you aren't interested.

The problems in Australia with vaccine rollout and hesitancy are very different than in N. America or Europe. The primary vaccine was supposed to be Astra Zeneca but the messaging about the rare blood clot side effect was a mess. Way worse than the pause for the single dose J&J, which was not a primary vaccine for us in any case. Australia produces AZ but a lot of people who are eligible don't want it.

This article from Australia has examples of what people say to help convince someone that getting AZ instead of waiting for Pfizer is a good idea. Or just getting vaccinated in general since up until Delta, there were very few cases in Australia initiated by community spread.

Aug. 1, 2021

The international borders have been essentially closed since early 2020, with 14-day hotel quarantine required and limited spaces available (quarantined people pay the bill). In the last 12 months, lockdowns (Stay At Home) that last weeks or months have been started for under 10 detected cases of community spread. As with the rest of the world, Delta has changed the situation for Australia. The latest numbers in the state, New South Wales, that includes Sydney are over 2000 detected cases, mostly by contact tracing.

NSW and Victoria (includes Melbourne) are the two Australian states with ski resorts. There is an Epic Australian Pass for Perisher, Falls Creek, and Hotham, which are in Victoria. Falls and Hotham closed for a few days, but have re-opened. People living in NSW are not allowed to cross the state border into Victoria. A recent negative test was required for a while. The other large ski resort, Thredbo, is on Ikon. Perisher and Thredbo are pretty close together (like Summit County resorts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back