The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad this resurfaced. I was going to start a new thread, with the Delta variant happening. I especially wanted to have MarzNC's stats happening.

I found out that I have a co-worker that is unvaccinated, because she is worried that she can't get pregnant after being vaccinated. Her MIL just died from COVID. She isn't disclosing to most people that she isn't vaccinated. I have this fear that she went to a funeral, with a bunch of other unvaccinated people, to honor a woman who died from COVID, and then show up at work like nothing happened. I only know that the MIL died from COVID complications by finding something online.

I am annoyed by the whole thing because Cornell expects us to come back to work fully for the Fall semester. It will be interesting to see how they modify their plans, however.

I hate to lock threads. Just behave people.

Personal freedom is our strength and weakness.

From what I am reading, we need a delta booster now.

I hate to lock threads. Just behave people.

Personal freedom is our strength and weakness.

I agree 100 per cent. I am just trying to process how to move forward in my own world. I feel like Ozzy: "Here we go again."

This forum has been a godsend for information for me, as well as some sanity. That's what I am hoping for.

I doubt it. There are reports and studies that mention a decrease in antibodies with Pfizer. That's natural. But what really matters is that vaccines activate T-cells/B-cells. Need those to create new antibodies in the future if SARS-CoV-2 gets into the body. My immunologist ski buddy is pretty confident that immunity from vaccination is good for 1-3 years. She thinks even natural immunity is probably good for 1-2 years. We've been discussing this topic for months.

Of course, Delta is shifting thinking in general. I think the emphasis on reporting about breakthrough cases is encouraging a perception that being vaccinated doesn't provide any protection at all. That's not true. The percentage for breakthrough hospitalizations is very low in relation to the 161+ million Americans who are vaccinated.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC2
Rutrow.
It’s a CDC report bout Delta in the Cape Cod County, so there’s that.
Yep. What's not detailed in the CDC report is the fact that there are hundreds of non-MA residents who also tested positive after visiting the Provincetown July 4th festival. The total size of the "cluster" is approaching 1000. Many tourists were responsible people who were fully vaccinated. That's why they bothered to get tested after hearing from friends about the outbreak. Probably others who were vaccinated, got COVID but didn't have symptoms, and haven't been tested. Looks like about 1/3 local residents, 1/3 MA residents, and 1/3 out-of-state tourists. Of course, harder to have solid numbers about the tourists. MA residents are probably pretty good about cooperating with contract tracers.

July 30, 2021

Eastern MA has high vaccination rates in general. MA has very good contact tracing, probably some of the best in the country. That's why CDC could get data to analyze in depth.

July 15, 2021
"
Robert Coy has been fully vaccinated for months and was ready to enjoy a vacation with friends after more than a year of uncertainty during the coronavirus pandemic.

"It was one of those things where, you know, we've been going out to places now at that point, maybe for a week or two, but we were able to take off masks, rejoin society, the CDC guidelines kept getting looser and looser and looser," Coy told NBC Chicago. "So I signed up to go [on a trip], it sounded like a great idea after especially, you know, a year and a half of what we all went through together."

So, Coy and five other friends traveled to Provincetown, Massachusetts, where they enjoyed a memorable vacation.

"We were able to go out, have a great time, make a lot of new friends and had really a blast of a trip," he said.

But as they returned, things changed.

"On Sunday night, all of a sudden, texts started pouring in saying that people who had been fully vaccinated as much as I had were testing positive for COVID," he said, including several members of his group of friends.

So on Monday, Coy got a test of his own. Positive.
. . ."

Last edited:
Since @wonderpony wanted stats . . . NY Times has added graphical displays over the last few months. Most recently a map of hospitalizations by county. That count is far more useful in the current situation than detected case counts. Remember that well over 95% of people being hospitalized are unvaccinated. The biggest raw numbers are in FL, TX, MO with AR, MS, LA, NV also in trouble in terms of overwhelming healthcare systems.

Vaccination rates vary widely not only by region by also by county even within states with overall high vaccination rates, can be as much as a 30% spread within a state. Seniors are generally pretty well protected by vaccination, but with Delta changing the situation need to be careful around people who are unvaccinated. Kids under 12 are at higher risk of getting COVID-19 because Delta is so much more transmissible. Once again, multi-generational families who aren't following public health recommendations are putting themselves at higher risk. Difference in July 2021 is that vaccines exist that work to help greatly decrease serious illness, but people still need to know what minor symptoms to look for and be willing to get tested as a precaution.

I tend to look at only the last few months (60, 90, 180 days) when looking at trend graphs.

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 7.37.08 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 7.37.33 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 7.38.40 AM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back