The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read Moderna is saying that you're going to need a booster 8-9 months after the 1st shot.

" . . .on May 19, both the CEO of Moderna and the CEO of Pfizer said that depending on the research being done on the efficacy and longevity of the vaccines, a booster shot could be needed between either eight to 12 months after the recipient’s initial two-dose vaccine series.

But the decision is mostly dependent upon health officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration to approve booster shots, Pfizer told FOX TV Stations in an emailed statement.
. . ."

The way I read the article, all the vaccine makers are preparing people for the idea of booster shots. The increased number of variants spreading around the world is something they have been assessing for a while. Of course, what they want from a business standpoint is full FDA approval in 2021 based on the clinical trial data for the studies begun in 2020. At least, that's what the bean counters would like. ;)

In general, the timing for vaccinations depends on the disease and how a human body reacts to the vaccine. We get flu shots every year because of the big number of flu variations of concern. For shots given to children for contagious diseases like measles or mumps, the schedule is completely different. With the more recent shingles vaccine, it's two shots for older adults and no need for a booster after that.

A bit more info related to the idea of the timing of booster shots for Pfizer and Moderna. For what it's worth, my ski buddy who is an immunologist thinks a year is probably the most likely timeframe for vaccine immunity to be at a good level.

" . . .
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told CNN the bottom line is "we don't know."
"We're preparing for the eventuality that we might need boosters, but I think we've got to be careful not to let the people know that inevitably, x number of months from now, everyone's going to need a booster. That's just not the case," Fauci, chief medical adviser to President Joe Biden, said at a Washington Post Live event. "We may not need it for quite a while."

Scientists at a number of companies that make Covid-19 vaccines have also predicted the need for boosters within a year -- but the scientific community is not in widespread agreement on this.

"We're making extrapolations" from incomplete data, Fauci told The Washington Post on Thursday.
. . ."

" . . .
Moderna and Pfizer have recently said immunity can start to wane between six to eight months after getting the second shot of their vaccines. Dr. Peter Marks, a Food and Drug Administration official, estimates that vaccine-induced immunity is around one year, according to public remarks reported by CNBC.

“I would project that it’s actually going to be longer than that,” Dr. Mark Mulligan, director of NYU Langone Health’s Vaccine Center, said in a May 3 interview. “It might be a year or even more. But in all likelihood, for boosting of the magnitude of the antibody levels and other immune responses, boosters will be needed.”

If SARS-CoV-2 becomes an endemic virus, as some medical experts have predicted, boosters are one way to keep people protected and also address gaps in immunity caused by powerful variants like B.1.351, first detected in South Africa, and the P.1 first identified in Brazil that are thought to lessen the effectiveness of these vaccines.

However, at this point, it’s all speculation. There is no medical consensus about whether booster shots are necessary to ensure continued protection against this virus or even what the durability of immunity to this virus is.
. . ."

I just hope that the boosters are better at protecting from the variants as the flue shots are. It seems like the flu shots are a crap shoot whether they will be productive or not.

I just hope that the boosters are better at protecting from the variants as the flue shots are. It seems like the flu shots are a crap shoot whether they will be productive or not.
The boosters are only for the known variants
Not much they can do with the unknown

Reactions: MC2
Flu shots are completely different than the vaccines geared specifically for SARS-CoV-2 from what I understand. A combination shot is created based on a deliberate selection of a few common flu strains. It's known from the start that the list is an educated guess, not a guarantee that those will be the dominant strains in the upcoming flu season.

I don't have a medical background. But have done enough reading to appreciate that how a coronavirus acts in a human body has little in common with influenza other than a few similar symptoms for people with a mild case of COVID-19. Meaning people who actually notice mild symptoms, not people who are asymptomatic.

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 1.12.15 PM.png

The boosters are only for the known variants
Not much they can do with the unknown
Based on my reading, I don't think that's correct. T-cell/B-cell protection can handle variants. A coronavirus can only mutate so much.

As for developing a booster shot based on an existing vaccine, the research and clinical trials can only be done for existing variants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back