Ski Bowl 3.0 at Gore

Sorry if this has been posted, but will yurt life be compromised? Are they relocating or removing anything?
I just got word that Hudson is postponed to 2024, so nothing is being changed there this summer. Bear Cub will be the only new lift at Gore in 2023. Maybe this will give them time to do further snowmaking upgrades, but it's still ORDA we are talking about here.

I like the pod layout mostly. Once you've got a rhythm it can flow well from one to another. I had a pattern when I was there somewhat regularly.
I have also figured out a pattern that minimizes wasteful traversing, and I try to stick to it.

I agree lower tannery as an escape route from topridge would be nice.
Lower Tannery was apparently very flat, and I'm not sure if it would've been all that enjoyable to ski, but my point is you used to be able to get directly to the bottom from the Straightbrook trails and now you can only get there from Cloud.

What happens if the lift goes down? Guessing there is protocol for that.
If the lift is able to operate on diesel, then they should let anyone down there load before clearing the lift. In the unlikely event that it needed to be rope evac'd, then I assume they'd have you ski out on Tannery. If the lift goes down, then they will rope Tannery below Straightbrook. I've seen this when the lift was closed for wind.

No one misses lower Tannery. We skied it with patrol a couple of years ago when Topridge broke down. A rope evacuation would have been more fun.
They’re not not supposed to load any lift on diesel only, but rope evacuations on Topridge are difficult because much of the line is usually unskiable and there are at least some riders not capable of skiing even the Topridge trail. And after the evacuation you’re still stuck at the bottom of new Tannery.

mm

Lower Tannery was apparently very flat, and I'm not sure if it would've been all that enjoyable to ski.
No one misses lower Tannery. We skied it with patrol a couple of years ago when Topridge broke down. A rope evacuation would have been more fun.
It’s not that bad. I ducked the rope & skied it a couple of times when I was late for lineup but really wanted one more Rumor run.

More Gore topography.

"Whiteface has the greatest vertical in the east, but Gore has the most horizontal.” Anonymous.
^^^ Should go into the:

The Wisdom of The Upstate Skier (Truisms, life lessons, pro tips)​

May have “skied” lower tannery a long time ago. I ran cross country back then so may have enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Lower Tannery was brutal. It was even worse for little kids. It made the flat section of Cloud above the Saddle seem fun.

Since the ski bowl is going to be open this weekend, it will be the latest it has ever been open, and the first time that the Hudson Chair has operated in April. This is entirely due to better snowmaking that now covers the full length of Peaceful Valley. The section between Eagle's Nest and Oak Ridge was the first to go every year, often in late February or early March.

Since the ski bowl is going to be open this weekend, it will be the latest it has ever been open, and the first time that the Hudson Chair has operated in April. This is entirely due to better snowmaking that now covers the full length of Peaceful Valley. The section between Eagle's Nest and Oak Ridge was the first to go every year, often in late February or early March.
Mother nature had nothing to do with it?

Back