Regular, Premium, MPG and AWD

I find the smart cruise to be excellent once I fully learned all the features. I can still beat it myself, especially in hilly terrain. On flat terrain it is pretty close. The braking is pretty aggressive. That's the worst feature IMO.

The Taconic is the worst for gas mileage when using cruise control, but I lock it in at 68 anyway. I'd rather pay a little more in gas than for a speeding ticket. That road (especially around Clinton) is notorious.

The Taconic is the worst for gas mileage when using cruise control, but I lock it in at 68 anyway. I'd rather pay a little more in gas than for a speeding ticket. That road (especially around Clinton) is notorious.
I roll Taconic at 69 all the time, and probably way more back in the day when the speedo on my 58 Biscayne didn't work. South of the Croton reservoir you can drive any speed, and there's so many drivers using Waze that you can tell where the cops are by how traffic slows. Never got a ticket except one night in Chatham at 79.
Taconic is way too twisty for cruise control, especially south of I-84, and way too hectic south of Croton.

mm

Last edited:
I find the smart cruise to be excellent once I fully learned all the features. I can still beat it myself, especially in hilly terrain. On flat terrain it is pretty close. The braking is pretty aggressive. That's the worst feature IMO.
Smart cruise control is just an invitation to zone out. Using cruise you tend to ignore cars alongside or even in your blind spot. If there's enough traffic for the smart CC to hit the brakes, it's too busy for CC. I want control of my speed to keep myself clear of other cars.

mm

Last edited:
Smart cruise control is just an invitation to zone out. Using cruise you tend to ignore cars alongside or even in your blind spot. If there's enough traffic for the smart CC to hit the brakes, it's too busy for CC. I want control of my speed to keep myself clear of other cars.

mm

I tend to use the longer following distance. (There are 4 settings.) I figure if you can't set a long following distance you shouldn't be using cruise.

If you are 300 feet behind another car, and the guy ahead signals to turn, and then starts turning, my car will slow down from say 45 to 20. If I wasn't using cruise I'd just take my foot off the gas and coast, maybe getting to within 200 feet and then stepping on the gas again once the car in front was gone.

I agree that the auto cruise can be a bad thing for paying attention. But I do like relieving the ticket stress. I feel like on the Thruway with cruise set at 68 or 72 the chances for a ticket are low.

IMO it's kind of like the big all season tire argument. The calculation is different if you live near the mountain vs driving 250 miles each way, every week. Nothing is worth it if you or someone else ends up injured or dead. The safest thing for me would be to give up skiing.

I cruise the thruway/northway to the tune of 40k miles per year. Cruise is set at 78 with driver assist. Other than work zones I never slow down. Adaptive cruise is not a favorite on the highway. Jumps on the brakes and then takes forever to get back to speed.

I cruise the thruway/northway to the tune of 40k miles per year. Cruise is set at 78 with driver assist.
I cruise by troopers every morning at 79 on my way to Gore. 69 on Rt 9 or Rt28 will get you a ticket. Ask me who how I know.

mm

for the last couple of days the GFS has been forming a hurricane in the gulf..some runs it's weak , some runs its's not..
a major storm will send gas to unspeakable levels..
this will be interesting

Last edited:
That's why I moved north 50 years ago.

mm

I didn't ski 50 years ago. I'm still glad I found skiing when I did. (Age 40).

When you find something you love like skiing later in life, sometimes you got to work with what you got. I consider myself lucky that my wife is willing to move north in 2024. She's not a skier.

Back