Regular, Premium, MPG and AWD

Smart cruise control is just an invitation to zone out. Using cruise you tend to ignore cars alongside or even in your blind spot. If there's enough traffic for the smart CC to hit the brakes, it's too busy for CC. I want control of my speed to keep myself clear of other cars.

mm
It's good on a 2-lane highway though. Meaning where the speed limit is 55 and there aren't too many curves. If that's part of a driving 3+ hours, I'm happy to let the car follow at the farthest or medium distance setting. Also good on the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway where the speed limit is 35 mph since that's a "see the views" road. The RAV4 maintains the speed going up and going down. Following another tourist out for a drive is more fun than having to brake/accelerate manually.

Everywhere you look there are factors that are driving up prices. Supply issues and crazy wild pent-up demand. Resignations, retirement and WFH has led to super tight labor market and rising wages. I know people who are working from home for two different companies. If their boss knows it, he/she isn't saying anything, they are taking what they can get.

The only thing that was really a choice was the stimulus, and with something like covid how do you really know what the right amount is? Everyone said that 2008 was so painful because the stimulus wasn't enough. Easy to say in hindsight.

Our company really needed that first round of PPP and didn't really need the second round. Of course we took it. And we paid most of it out to our employees. I'm one of the owners of our company of 14 people and last year 5 of our employees made more than I did. We had to give them money or they'd quit, and we'd be in big trouble.

Two of them did quit and we are paying a fortune to head hunters, to find us employees who aren't exactly motivated. I had an employee tell me the other day she was avoiding me because whenever we spoke, I gave her something to do. She spends a couple hours a day making personal calls and doesn't even attempt to hide it. We lost an employee to a competitor in January who left after getting a 20% raise in October, a huge bonus and profit sharing in December. It may sound like I'm complaining, but I know it's just capitalism. I'm part of the system, I have to cope with it. There's a lot wrong with pure capitalism but it has benefited me my entire career.

All of it is leading to record demand with limited supply.

The war is also a factor, limiting energy and food (grain) supply.

I guess that is pretty off topic huh.

... The safest thing for me would be to give up skiing.
C’mon man.
It’s hump day in the off season.
A few more months it’ll cool off again and the snow will be waiting for ya and yer tail will be waggin again.
The Southern Hemisphere started off with some good early snow this month.

Everywhere you look there are factors that are driving up prices. Supply issues and crazy wild pent-up demand. Resignations, retirement and WFH has led to super tight labor market and rising wages. I know people who are working from home for two different companies. If their boss knows it, he/she isn't saying anything, they are taking what they can get.

The only thing that was really a choice was the stimulus, and with something like covid how do you really know what the right amount is? Everyone said that 2008 was so painful because the stimulus wasn't enough. Easy to say in hindsight.

Our company really needed that first round of PPP and didn't really need the second round. Of course we took it. And we paid most of it out to our employees. I'm one of the owners of our company of 14 people and last year 5 of our employees made more than I did. We had to give them money or they'd quit, and we'd be in big trouble.

Two of them did quit and we are paying a fortune to head hunters, to find us employees who aren't exactly motivated. I had an employee tell me the other day she was avoiding me because whenever we spoke, I gave her something to do. She spends a couple hours a day making personal calls and doesn't even attempt to hide it. We lost an employee to a competitor in January who left after getting a 20% raise in October, a huge bonus and profit sharing in December. It may sound like I'm complaining, but I know it's just capitalism. I'm part of the system, I have to cope with it. There's a lot wrong with pure capitalism but it has benefited me my entire career.

All of it is leading to record demand with limited supply.

The war is also a factor, limiting energy and food (grain) supply.

I guess that is pretty off topic huh.

The big Oil companies are hosing us! They use ANY excuse to raise the price in minutes of anything happening anywhere in the world. And at the same time reporting record profits, no plans to increase production but definite plans for Stock buy backs. For them it's all about $$$ for the shareholders.
Oil companies do not set oil prices. It is a global market with benchmark products traded on several exchanges around the world. Driven by the same factor as every other market: current and future estimated supply/demand, market shortages and gluts, increasing/decreasing refinery production, and availability of current and potential future reserves. Do they make more money when prices go up? Of course they do, just like pretty much every other product as it allows for a larger profit margin. You think they are price gouging? I do not know the exact numbers (probably easy enough to find somewhere online) but they take a fraction of the amount the government slaps on as taxes.

Yet there are still zero shortages for gas anywhere in the US. Anybody having trouble finding fuel? Any gas stations closed because of no supply? So everyday on every news program and newspaper we see interviews with angry Americans, yet, despite the rise in prices, demand for fuel is not going down. Once demand goes down, prices will drop.

Yet there are still zero shortages for gas anywhere in the US. Anybody having trouble finding fuel? Any gas stations closed because of no supply? So everyday on every news program and newspaper we see interviews with angry Americans, yet, despite the rise in prices, demand for fuel is not going down. Once demand goes down, prices will drop.
i remember the shortages and lines of 72 and 79..That was a real issue. We also seem to forget the incredible interest rates and inflation of the early 80's and 70's. Nixon's price freeze to combat run away inflation.. As a country we all need a history lesson..

Nixon issued Executive Order 11615 (pursuant to the Economic Stabilization Act of 1970), imposing a 90-day freeze on wages and prices in order to counter inflation. This was the first time the U.S. government had enacted wage and price controls since World War II

Back