Poll: The Impact of the Epic Pass

What is the impact of the Epic Pass?

• • I don't have an Epic Pass.

• • I have an Epic Pass because it was the best option for me.

• • I have an Epic Pass because my mountain is a Vail mountain.

• I don't see any impact of the Epic Pass, positive or negative.

• Epic is good for skiers.

• Epic is bad for skiers.

• Epic is good for member mountains.

• Epic is bad for member mountains.

• Epic is good for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is bad for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is good for skiing.

• It's not that it's evil, it's just that it's bad.

Results are only viewable after voting.
As others have said, I think one’s opinion of the Epic Pass (and all the passes it has inspired) is dependent on the skier. On one hand, “unlimited” skiing is more affordable than ever, and I’ve observed a greater number of skiers cherry-picking the best ski days and leaving once the hill is skied off.

Among the losers are those who used ski when the passes were more aspirational. Powder days are a lot less valuable if half the skiing population can show up every time it snows 6+ inches.

New skiers and riders are the biggest losers. The sport is not easy to learn, and the expensive day tickets are not helping. I can barely get casual skier friends to commit to buying a pass/tickets in advance. Why would a new or new skier want to do so?

One of my biggest gripes with Vail is that they have raised the cost of entry into the sport so much. It is hard to bring a friend or kid to your local Vail hill because of how expensive they have made day tickets, rentals, and lessons. They also effectively neutered the PA state 4th and 5th grade ski pass by withdrawing all of their areas, they stopped doing group sales for school clubs at their mountains, and they made night skiing really expensive, barely cheaper than skiing during the day. These are all programs that get kids and younger adults into the sport. Not only that, but it furthers the public perception that skiing is a rich white bro's sport.
Vail Sucks.

One of my biggest gripes with Vail is that they have raised the cost of entry into the sport so much. It is hard to bring a friend or kid to your local Vail hill because of how expensive they have made day tickets, rentals, and lessons. They also effectively neutered the PA state 4th and 5th grade ski pass by withdrawing all of their areas, they stopped doing group sales for school clubs at their mountains, and they made night skiing really expensive, barely cheaper than skiing during the day. These are all programs that get kids and younger adults into the sport. Not only that, but it furthers the public perception that skiing is a rich white bro's sport. Other operations like Spring Mountain (Run by the local ski shop), Montage, and Shawnee are trying to continue a lot of these programs to keep the skiing population steady, but it's unfortunate if your local hill happens to be Epic.

Wow, thanks for the detail. That's not good. Again, awful management. Makes no sense that they would buy these smaller mountains and treat them in the same way as their "high end" product. Brackenridge needs these families to be profitable, but they're putting a kink in the hose when they pull that.

Last edited:
For me it begs the question - what factors determine whether or not you had a good experience? I guess that many skiers can't fully enjoy the day if they felt like they paid too much? But what else determines the quality of your day? Ticket price can't be the only factor.
Powder. would over pay for a powder day. even on the most crowed of them

Yeah, but, powder with no crowds is the best.
So yeah, snow quality and skier density. Epic is really about price, and only one aspect of price, lift ticket price.

One of my biggest gripes with Vail is that they have raised the cost of entry into the sport so much. It is hard to bring a friend or kid to your local Vail hill because of how expensive they have made day tickets, rentals, and lessons. They also effectively neutered the PA state 4th and 5th grade ski pass by withdrawing all of their areas, they stopped doing group sales for school clubs at their mountains, and they made night skiing really expensive, barely cheaper than skiing during the day. These are all programs that get kids and younger adults into the sport. Not only that, but it furthers the public perception that skiing is a rich white bro's sport. Other operations like Spring Mountain (Run by the local ski shop), Montage, and Shawnee are trying to continue a lot of these programs to keep the skiing population steady, but it's unfortunate if your local hill happens to be Epic.
We're seeing the beginning effects of a monopoly. I don't know what constitutes US antitrust violations but seems they are moving forward creating an effective monopoly. What irks me is a lot of mountains operate on public lands.
I hate to say it but it might be time to start sending some emails to your state and federal representatives about concerns of the Vail monopoly. I really have no experience in this area and I'm probably pissing in the wind, but I think I may contact my reps. The more people voice the concern seems could be better.

Back