Poll: The Impact of the Epic Pass

What is the impact of the Epic Pass?

• • I don't have an Epic Pass.

• • I have an Epic Pass because it was the best option for me.

• • I have an Epic Pass because my mountain is a Vail mountain.

• I don't see any impact of the Epic Pass, positive or negative.

• Epic is good for skiers.

• Epic is bad for skiers.

• Epic is good for member mountains.

• Epic is bad for member mountains.

• Epic is good for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is bad for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is good for skiing.

• It's not that it's evil, it's just that it's bad.

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's been my experience even on the busiest day by one thirty in the afternoon things open up. Your can ski more in two hours now then you could in 5 20 years ago. Walmart and home Depot were going to put all the mom and pop stores out of business. They did for a while but the small shops are popping up all over the place now. I have a true value near my house. I was so pumped. I boughtt everything there. They were so poorly run I refuse to go there anymore. I drive 10 miles out of the way to go to home Depot now. That's business. These mega pass companies are good for the small hills they bring a ton of people into the ski scene.. The amount of capital thet dole out in lifts and snowmaking are not possibly for a medium sized mountain. That's good for us. The small mountains benefit cause lots of people just don't dig that crowd. Everyone is benefiting. When vail and iKon creator.. And they will the improvements they put into the mountains don't go down with them. People will step in and buy them for pennies on the dollar and the whole process will start over again.

Reactions: MC2
When vail and iKon crater.. And they will, the improvements they put into the mountains don't go down with them. People will step in and buy them for pennies on the dollar and the whole process will start over again.
I think this is correct. It seems to be the natural circle of life in the ski industry

Could be a positive for smaller/independents. The question is how many passholders that do get fed up with all the waiting/long lift lines/paid parking/overpriced food decide to look for alternative destinations. Or do they simply call it quits? My schedule mostly relegates me to a weekend skier. I hate waiting in lines as most things are rarely worth the waste of time. By finding this blog I have saved myself the maddening probabability of showing up on a Saturday morning at Epic/Ikon mountain and being greeted by all of the above. I bought season passes for me and my daughter to Catamount/Berskshire East, a Ski3 Frequent Skier card for a couple weekends @ Gore/Whiteface, will definitely give Plattekill a try, and will look to Indy Pass for a late March trip to Jay, Saddleback, and maybe something in NH.

Or they’ll conclude that all the hassle involved with skiing isn’t worth it and they’ll quit- and not teach their kids to ski either.

I only purchased an Epic 2 Day pass. But I clicked on it was the best option for me. I wanted to lock in a few days and try to save some money. I can't believe how expensive lift tickets are getting. I don't think Vail helping...

^^^ @Cork sold his Atomic Backlands with bindings and skins for $650 for access to more mountains than Epic will ever have. Sweet deal.

One of my biggest gripes with Vail is that they have raised the cost of entry into the sport so much. It is hard to bring a friend or kid to your local Vail hill because of how expensive they have made day tickets, rentals, and lessons. They also effectively neutered the PA state 4th and 5th grade ski pass by withdrawing all of their areas, they stopped doing group sales for school clubs at their mountains, and they made night skiing really expensive, barely cheaper than skiing during the day. These are all programs that get kids and younger adults into the sport. Not only that, but it furthers the public perception that skiing is a rich white bro's sport. Other operations like Spring Mountain (Run by the local ski shop), Montage, and Shawnee are trying to continue a lot of these programs to keep the skiing population steady, but it's unfortunate if your local hill happens to be Epic.

One thing is sure, if you are retired, or local, or only ski weekdays it has a big effect on your answers.
I think if such a poll were done in multiple regions, where someone lives would be a big factor on their answers.

Personally, I've never had an Epic pass. Have considered getting one for a single season to check out the VR locations in Colorado but in general I prefer Ikon/MCP skiing out west. Makes a difference that I checked out Sun Valley, Snowbasin, and Telluride before they became Epic Partners. Same for Northstar, Heavenly, and Kirkwood.

Back