Poll: The Impact of the Epic Pass

What is the impact of the Epic Pass?

• • I don't have an Epic Pass.

• • I have an Epic Pass because it was the best option for me.

• • I have an Epic Pass because my mountain is a Vail mountain.

• I don't see any impact of the Epic Pass, positive or negative.

• Epic is good for skiers.

• Epic is bad for skiers.

• Epic is good for member mountains.

• Epic is bad for member mountains.

• Epic is good for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is bad for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is good for skiing.

• It's not that it's evil, it's just that it's bad.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Would be interesting to know what percentage of people buying an Epic Day Pass drive to use their days. It's certainly how VR is pulling in new customers since the entry price is relatively low.

Requiring people to make a reservation a few days in advance for Epic Day Passes would provide more control. Then there would be three categories: 1) pass holders including Epic, 2) Epic Day folks, 3) people buying a day ticket. The pandemic season proved that lift access reservations can work to limit capacity.
I disagree with the bolded. Many people chose not to ski that season for a variety of reasons. How can you use a one off, oddball year as proof that reservations worked?

I am happy I do not have to deal with the Epic mess, as my home mountain is Ikon. Ikon/Alterra unlimited resorts on the East coast are too far apart to have any overlap and there are plenty other choices to use the additional 5/7 days at other partner resorts.

Maybe those with Epic passes enjoy long lift lines and cluster fucks?
For the life of me I can't understand why people would put themselves through all of that horseshit.
If you happen to own and Vail bought your home mountain, you are just screwed. The reports (coming out of Pennsylvania, Hunter, Attitash and Wildcat, the parking at Mt Snow, the access road at Stowe) are terrible. We feel lucky that we are at an Alterra mountain.

If you happen to own and Vail bought your home mountain, you are just screwed. The reports (coming out of Pennsylvania, Hunter, Attitash and Wildcat, the parking at Mt Snow, the access road at Stowe) are terrible. We feel lucky that we are at an Alterra mountain.
And alterra is run by a real ski industry professional
Rusty Gregory
He started as a lifty at mammoth and rose though the ranks to ceo.
Not some soft drink exec.

If you happen to own and Vail bought your home mountain, you are just screwed.
Agree with this. It would be hard for me to blame an owner for chasing in with Vail, but I certainly hope it never happens at Greek.
If it does, it makes my decision to concentrate on sleds even a better one.

We'll be committing (more) to real estate near Gore in the next three years. Obviously anytime you buy real estate, it's a risk.

Four things are in the back of my mind, with regard to the unthinkable:

Contrary to press reports, Vail would probably not buy ORDA
I'll be retired, so I can ski midweek (doesn't mean they can't f it up)
I'm sure I'll be doing more nordic/bc and less lift-served
I'll be much to other mountains. I don't see McCauley ever going to Vail.

Not that I'm an Epic Pass holder but I personally don't like the idea of having to make a reservation with my season pass. What happens if you don't show?

They need many tiers of pass prices from the super cheap, local midweek only, all the way up to the full fledged anywhere at anytime (which should be much more expensive then $840). They should also give you the option of paying up for discounted day tickets with the cheap local passes to places like Whistler and Vail with the amount of discount dependent on the tier of pass you bought. IMHO that's a nice middle ground between incentivizing people to commit up front while also using pricing to smooth over demand.

Back