Poll: The Impact of the Epic Pass

What is the impact of the Epic Pass?

• • I don't have an Epic Pass.

• • I have an Epic Pass because it was the best option for me.

• • I have an Epic Pass because my mountain is a Vail mountain.

• I don't see any impact of the Epic Pass, positive or negative.

• Epic is good for skiers.

• Epic is bad for skiers.

• Epic is good for member mountains.

• Epic is bad for member mountains.

• Epic is good for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is bad for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is good for skiing.

• It's not that it's evil, it's just that it's bad.

Results are only viewable after voting.
It is difficult to quantify. The Epic has been very good for me and my family and some of my friends. A few family members for one reason or another didn't see value but will be doing it again. My home mountain is Hunter and I took side trips to Okemo and Sunapee. Pre Covid with Epic I skied at Hunter and Vail, for good value. I can ski during the week but my family usually skis on the weekend, I am buying a pass again.

It is difficult to quantify. The Epic has been very good for me and my family and some of my friends. A few family members for one reason or another didn't see value but will be doing it again. My home mountain is Hunter and I took side trips to Okemo and Sunapee. Pre Covid with Epic I skied at Hunter and Vail, for good value. I can ski during the week but my family usually skis on the weekend, I am buying a pass again.
Thanks for posting this. All we ever hear is the bad so it's cool to hear it work for you.
Midweek is key.

JP, what was the lift line situation on a normal weekend day? Was it always like the photos that have gotten all the attention on IG or was that not the norm?

I disagree with the bolded. Many people chose not to ski that season for a variety of reasons. How can you use a one off, oddball year as proof that reservations worked?
My thinking is about the fact that software for reservations seems to be readily available. So if there an interest by management to limit capacity by requiring lift access reservations, it can be done without breaking the bank. Same is true for parking reservations. Has little to do with how many people were on the slopes in 2020-21.

Powder Mountain has been using advanced online ticketing for years to limit day tickets. Incorporated Indy Pass reservations (5 days in advance) for 2021-22. Presumably that was to make it harder for Indy Pass folks to decide the night before and all show up on a powder day.

If I have to make reservations as a season pass holder, I'm out.
So you would never use Ikon to ski Jackson Hole? JH required Ikon reservations in 2021-22. May well have the same requirement in the future. Or do you not consider Ikon a "season pass"? There were Indy locations that required reservations. How is that different?

Is an Epic Local with holiday blackouts that provides unlimited access on non-holiday days to a long list of resorts in multiple regions the same as a "season pass" good at one mountain?

We don't buy no stinkin epic.
AlfonsoBedoyaasGoldHat8x6_thumb[1].jpg

I guess I consider it a season pass at the hill that’s got unlimited days
So you would never use Ikon to ski Jackson Hole? JH required Ikon reservations in 2021-22. May well have the same requirement in the future. Or do you not consider Ikon a "season pass"? There were Indy locations that required reservations. How is that different?

Is an Epic Local with holiday blackouts that provides unlimited access on non-holiday days to a long list of resorts in multiple regions the same as a "season pass" good at one mountain?
do Jackson hole locals with unlimited days have to make reservations? I mean, I know it’s supposed to be the shit and everything but that’s kind of outrageous. If I bought an Ikon and I had to make reservations for Windham, Killington and Pico, that would piss me off- might be a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Back