Poll: The Impact of the Epic Pass

What is the impact of the Epic Pass?

• • I don't have an Epic Pass.

• • I have an Epic Pass because it was the best option for me.

• • I have an Epic Pass because my mountain is a Vail mountain.

• I don't see any impact of the Epic Pass, positive or negative.

• Epic is good for skiers.

• Epic is bad for skiers.

• Epic is good for member mountains.

• Epic is bad for member mountains.

• Epic is good for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is bad for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is good for skiing.

• It's not that it's evil, it's just that it's bad.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I guess I consider it a season pass at the hill that’s got unlimited days

do Jackson hole locals with unlimited days have to make reservations? I mean, I know it’s supposed to be the shit and everything but that’s kind of outrageous. If I bought an Ikon and I had to make reservations for Windham, Killington and Pico, that would piss me off- might be a deal breaker.
The discussion here is about Epic. JH is a Partner for Ikon so no one can use it for unlimited days. An unlimited season pass at JH for a senior was just over $2000 for 2021-22. Only price I can find on the website now for an adult is the Midweek Mon-Fri pass at $1599.

The resorts that use Ikon as the "unlimited season pass" originally included Crystal in WA. That was removed even from Full Ikon for 2022-23. The Crystal locals aren't too happy that they would have to spend $1699 for the Crystal Legend for 23+ or $3999 for the Crystal Premier than includes parking and Ikon Base. Alterra handles Ikon for their resorts differently than Vail Resorts.

Guess we need to compare apples to apples in terms of when reservations could be required for Epic as an unlimited multi-resort pass. The issue is how to avoid crazy long lift lines on known busy days when there are lots of Epic travelers around who make plans weeks or months in advance. Dealing with crowding by people who can make last minute decisions to drive on powder days is different. Sorry for confusing the issue by bringing up an Ikon Partner.

Here are the Alterra resorts for which Full Ikon could be used as an unlimited season pass, $1079 for 2022-23. A few also have much cheaper 1-location season passes. For instance, Snowshoe's unlimited season pass for Main Basin and Silver Creek is $449. Solitude has a Midweek Mon-Thu pass with holiday blackouts for $399.

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 10.53.18 AM.png

So what was the JH question about if it’s not a season pass there? All I said was that if I bought a season pass and was expected to make reservations I would be out, or at least be pissed. Indy Pass is in no way a season pass either.

I tried to use this but couldn't find my favorite mountains listed!

So what was the JH question about if it’s not a season pass there? All I said was that if I bought a season pass and was expected to make reservations I would be out, or at least be pissed. Indy Pass is in no way a season pass either.
To me a season pass is to a local ski mountain. It’s a pass to where you normally go and are a part of the community. Multi-passes mostly remove the community part.

I’d be out too if I have to make reservations to regularly ski. The paid for parking, reservation systems and traffic and/or costs to a lot of popular ski resorts is already keeping me away from those places. It’s getting so bad that it’s in part a reason why I’m losing interest in skiing at all these days.

It’s getting so bad that it’s in part a reason why I’m losing interest in skiing at all these days.

{It’s getting so bad that...}

I am 100% fine with limiting my skiing to less famous ski hills with a sane and pleasant experience.

To me a season pass is to a local ski mountain. It’s a pass to where you normally go and are a part of the community. Multi-passes mostly remove the community part.

I’d be out too if I have to make reservations to regularly ski. The paid for parking, reservation systems and traffic and/or costs to a lot of popular ski resorts is already keeping me away from those places. It’s getting so bad that it’s in part a reason why I’m losing interest in skiing at all these days.
i guess i'm not alone...

I am 100% fine with limiting my skiing to less famous ski hills with a sane and pleasant experience.
Well, I don’t have another option here and I’m going to be here until at least Cody is done with HS.

Also, “it’s in part a reason” why I’m losing interest. I think I’m ready for a break. Skiing takes a lot of my money and I’d like to do some different things for a while.

The only reason I’m continuing getting season passes here is so I can spend time with Cody up there.

The Ikon/Epic is still a local pass for many people. It just has the added benefit of other potential areas to visit.
This part is sad but true.

What’s sanity gotta do withit?
Keep playing in the snow weird.

All for the pleasant experience part.

Last edited:
Back