Poll: The Impact of the Epic Pass

What is the impact of the Epic Pass?

• • I don't have an Epic Pass.

• • I have an Epic Pass because it was the best option for me.

• • I have an Epic Pass because my mountain is a Vail mountain.

• I don't see any impact of the Epic Pass, positive or negative.

• Epic is good for skiers.

• Epic is bad for skiers.

• Epic is good for member mountains.

• Epic is bad for member mountains.

• Epic is good for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is bad for the ski business longterm.

• Epic is good for skiing.

• It's not that it's evil, it's just that it's bad.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Good point. I assumed the pod was old. I mean nothing says he can't come back.

What's his best idea?
It was just a short commentary on Vail and Epic pass. not a new pod. I liked his idea of declaring a home mountain and giving people limited access to non home mountains.

Next season’s prices have been announced with small increases across all their pass products, but otherwise no substantial changes:

I think it’s a missed opportunity to try and address the crowding that’s damaged their brand. IMO Vail (and IKON) need to introduce a better mechanism to prevent pass holders from all showing up on the best days of the season. Skier visits and lift times at Vail resorts might only be slightly up on average, but those select days each season when the traffic spikes due to powder or optimal conditions are what’s resulting in the egregious lift lines and a cheapened experience.

prevent pass holders from all showing up on the best days of the season.
This seems like a heavy lift. When I buy a pass my goal is to show up on the best days of the season.

Which passholders should be prevented?

Next season’s prices have been announced with small increases across all their pass products, but otherwise no substantial changes:

I think it’s a missed opportunity to try and address the crowding that’s damaged their brand. IMO Vail (and IKON) need to introduce a better mechanism to prevent pass holders from all showing up on the best days of the season. Skier visits and lift times at Vail resorts might only be slightly up on average, but those select days each season when the traffic spikes due to powder or optimal conditions are what’s resulting in the egregious lift lines and a cheapened experience.
I was thinking the same thing in terms of crowding, especially at places that are not blacked out on the local pass. But Vail claimed that skier visits were "flat with the 2019-20 season during peak periods". Although perhaps that is across their entire network? Would be interesting to see that broken down not just by mountain but by specific peak days.

This seems like a heavy lift. When I buy a pass my goal is to show up on the best days of the season.

Agree, it’s not an easy problem to solve, and to be clear—I don’t think the full Epic Pass holders are the problem here, but rather all the other flavors of passes offered.

Perhaps institute reservations for the lower-tier pass products? Or a pass system where days are valued based on demand?

For example, I have an Edge Card for W/B. I’d personally have no problem making a reservation as long as capacity exists for the upcoming visit.

Last edited:

Which passholders should be prevented
I think if you were required to declare a home mountain and then got limited days at other mountains it could go a long way to preventing crowds.

The ones that can’t find a place to park & turn around and go back home or somewhere else,.

Back