ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Feel free to call me but if you navigate to a high speed charger then the rivian will precondition. That is the thing saying preparing battery for fast charge.

With the latest app update you can schedule that too.

Or you can manually trick your car into preconditioning by running your heater.

Is that helpful?
I'll check it out. I don't see how that raises the temp of the battery.

You can't actually start a route from the app.?
I am not sure by your meaning - if you mean phone I don’t think so but the schedule departure time does the same effect.

If you navigate from the onscreen app it does.

I nerd out- here are two pictures - first is when I left my house in 20 f at precondition - see how high the range efficiency is? Basically normal.

Second was when I bvigated to the Kingston high speed charger. See how how the battery temp is (69)? That got me drawing 170 kw within a minute on charger 1.

Attachments

• IMG_3048.jpeg
    IMG_3048.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3049.jpeg
    IMG_3049.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 51
I do understand what your saying. When I'm plugged in I just leave it at 75% then adjust it to 85 when I wake up. When you are not plugged in turning the heat on does little. I went out to the car and got navigated to the charger. Without the car moving preconditioning does nothing. I didn't think it did but I just verified it. I just drove down the the HSC and plugged in. Battery temp 22. It was pulling 5mph. I left it and went for a ski. An hour later it's pulling @280. Have another couple miles to get to the car. Better start moving.

I do understand what your saying. When I'm plugged in I just leave it at 75% then adjust it to 85 when I wake up. When you are not plugged in turning the heat on does little. I went out to the car and got navigated to the charger. Without the car moving preconditioning does nothing. I didn't think it did but I just verified it. I just drove down the the HSC and plugged in. Battery temp 22. It was pulling 5mph. I left it and went for a ski. An hour later it's pulling @280. Have another couple miles to get to the car. Better start moving.
Got it. What I don't understand is that you put in the navigation and it did not precondition. Maybe it was because the high speed charger was so close to your house/location? It needs like 20 min to precondition so maybe if you got in the car 20 min early and put the location in? I think that probably still would not work because it would want you in drive (?)

I think it is def something they could address with software but the question is when. I would email service to let them know, more likely they would pass that up for a cold weather software fix versus a rando on the phone.

*** Edit - I reread what you said - yes, then that seems like a software thinking design flaw - they should let the car precondition even if it is not in motion based on ETA to charger (or, like I am told Tesla's have, include a software button that lets you manually select precondition.

Separately - can you plug into just a normal outlet where you are before you leave? I did do that one morning - even though it was a slow charger (1.2kw per hour!) when I drove after scheduling departure time, it did not limit accel or regen (I don't know about fast charge as I was just driving a few miles).

I appreciate you sharing this info, it is really useful. Good luck and have fun!

I actually just emailed my guide and customer service suggesting this may be a program design flaw (that presumably they can fix easily just need to decide what priority). Thank you for posting about this.

Got it. What I don't understand is that you put in the navigation and it did not precondition. Maybe it was because the high speed charger was so close to your house/location? It needs like 20 min to precondition so maybe if you got in the car 20 min early and put the location in? I think that probably still would not work because it would want you in drive (?)

I think it is def something they could address with software but the question is when. I would email service to let them know, more likely they would pass that up for a cold weather software fix versus a rando on the phone.

*** Edit - I reread what you said - yes, then that seems like a software thinking design flaw - they should let the car precondition even if it is not in motion based on ETA to charger (or, like I am told Tesla's have, include a software button that lets you manually select precondition.

Separately - can you plug into just a normal outlet where you are before you leave? I did do that one morning - even though it was a slow charger (1.2kw per hour!) when I drove after scheduling departure time, it did not limit accel or regen (I don't know about fast charge as I was just driving a few miles).

I appreciate you sharing this info, it is really useful. Good luck and have fun!
My gut tells precondition means put drag on the motor to get them to heat up then blow the heat across the batteries. There should be a button on the app that says "warm battery".
The guide I was assigned is just not useful. I've contacted her 5-6 times. It takes her days to get back and it never has a positive outcome. I'm better off with the with the 800 number. They really need to change the hold music. It went from mildly pleasant to mind numbingly annoying.

Fun day yesterday volunteering at a BSA scouting event. Delivered 41 lunches in the woods. My son had less fun as his group got lost for a bit but he learned some lessons in a safe environment.

It was the first time I took the R1s in mud. This was the worst stretch maybe 100 feet long and fairly deep and wide. Went through like a champ in off-road all terrain. There is not a mud specific mode but I bet sand would work pretty well (?). Not the best photos as these were cropped from a video.

Attachments

• IMG_3295 Copy.jpeg
    IMG_3295 Copy.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3296 Copy.jpeg
    IMG_3296 Copy.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 46
Back