ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Anywhere for that matter. You need to charge at home. Period
A bit drastic. My math post with 90 pc home charging was pretty sweet. I would think up to like 50 pc home charging you do well because it is like 1/4 the price of an ice and high speed is still a little cheaper than gas.

It is hard to understand buying an EV if you do not have a dedicated charging spot in a cold weather area like Chicago.
EVs can function pretty well in the cold.

Hey - real world example, from 50 percent range flat to flat, inv conserve came out to 284 miles or a bit above 90 percent typical range from the guessometer. This was in 16-28 degrees without the car preconditioned.

Real world example: today. 160 miles. High single digits low double. Fast charged up to 75%. 47 dollars. Now it will sit out in the cold. Not making money on it in this weather

Wednesday I went similar distance similar conditions. 12 dollars at my house.
I didn’t fast charge one way home - and got a good meal and tip for less. Will charge tonight.

Got my snow tires on. Those things make me happy.

That's a nice articles. I drove mine around today. Battery 35 degrees. Drove maybe 20 miles in a few different trips. Car is toasty when I get in it and runs fine. Down from 75 after charging last night to 49 now. If I had a plug in here no problem. I don't. The super charger is 2 mile from be. Battery is not going to be warm when I get there in the morning so it's going to take a while to juice up.
Precondition is a very annoying term with ev. I can't figure out what it is.

That's a nice articles. I drove mine around today. Battery 35 degrees. Drove maybe 20 miles in a few different trips. Car is toasty when I get in it and runs fine. Down from 75 after charging last night to 49 now. If I had a plug in here no problem. I don't. The super charger is 2 mile from be. Battery is not going to be warm when I get there in the morning so it's going to take a while to juice up.
Precondition is a very annoying term with ev. I can't figure out what it is.
Feel free to call me but if you navigate to a high speed charger then the rivian will precondition. That is the thing saying preparing battery for fast charge.

With the latest app update you can schedule that too.

Or you can manually trick your car into preconditioning by running your heater.

Is that helpful?

Back