ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Stayed in the condo complex in the valley at Massanutten for a few days last week. There are now two free L2 charging stations near the rec center and shop in that part of the resort. Saw a Bolt, a Tesla, and another EV plugged in at various times. I plugged in for a little while just for fun.

There is also a post with outlets in one of the parking lots near the slopes. Need to have a charging cable. Can be 110 or 240. It's not really marked. It was put in several years ago without any fanfare.

Stayed in the condo complex in the valley at Massanutten for a few days last week. There are now two free L2 charging stations near the rec center and shop in that part of the resort. Saw a Bolt, a Tesla, and another EV plugged in at various times. I plugged in for a little while just for fun.

There is also a post with outlets in one of the parking lots near the slopes. Need to have a charging cable. Can be 110 or 240. It's not really marked. It was put in several years ago without any fanfare.
I have been looking for an unmarked outlet (a little) within 20 feet of a spot at Belle. Anybody got info? Gore's L2s are well marked and pretty good though they cut in half the rate if there are two vehicles charging.

Ray O’Vac doesn’t even know the price of gas anymore.
Ha. I don’t know the price of gas. All other things being equal I like the environment but the buying decision was a mix of economics performance and environment.

My brother who is at best neutral on green issues got Solar before me and now has an electric heating pump (not sure what the system is called) for one reason: it saves him money. He doesn’t have an ev.

My other brother who definitely is not a green has a plug in hybrid and just did a dyi solar (on Long Island no less) again because of economics.

Ha. I don’t know the price of gas. All other things being equal I like the environment but the buying decision was a mix of economics performance and environment.
What I'm still aware of is which states have lower gas taxes when I drive out of NC and am using the RAV4 Prime as a hybrid for the most part. At home, I fill up at Costco after a trip and don't need gas for the next 4-6 weeks.

My husband did the money calculations. He decided that getting a PHEV in 2021 and again in 2022 made more sense than getting a hybrid SUV. I'm more eco conscious than he is. My daughter is getting the benefit since her work commute is short enough that she doesn't use any gas during the week.

What I'm still aware of is which states have lower gas taxes when I drive out of NC and am using the RAV4 Prime as a hybrid for the most part. At home, I fill up at Costco after a trip and don't need gas for the next 4-6 weeks.

My husband did the money calculations. He decided that getting a PHEV in 2021 and again in 2022 made more sense than getting a hybrid SUV. I'm more eco conscious than he is. My daughter is getting the benefit since her work commute is short enough that she doesn't use any gas during the week.
I do believe that hybrids or leasing an ev are the best for the next 1-3 years.

We are way ahead of where I thought we would be on ev adoption. 2022 it was 5.9 pc and 2023 7.6 pc of new car sales.

Driving around in frigid weather from VA to MI and back in January showed the impact on the "traction battery." I'd reset the R4P's m/kWh and mpg indicators at the end of Dec 2023. That happened to be when the 30K service was due, which includes an oil change. I've driven about 3000 miles in the last month. The m/kWh is at 2.7, compared to 2.9/3.0 for Jun-Dec 2023. The mpg went down as low as 35 mpg when daytime temps were under 25, which lasted about a week. When I've driven up to Lake Placid and back during the summer, usually see about 38 mpg.

In short, living in NC having a PHEV makes more sense than if we lived in upstate NY or New England, or in Chicago where my husband grew up. Pretty sure his brother who stayed in the Chicago area has a hybrid.

When my daughter was checking out Subaru SUVs in Asheville, NC a few years ago (she was in college there), the dealership wasn't even carrying hybrids. That makes more sense to me now. The R4P is rated lower for mpg than the RAV4 Hybrid because is heavier due to the weight of the traction battery. Asheville is at 2000 ft in the mountains. Not that much colder in the winter but clearly colder than central NC.

Back