ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

another thought , i think the big 3 have painted themselves into a corner. The price of a decent pick up is around 75k +. That is not a sustainable price moving forward and the main reason the lots are full..

I've always been a late adapter, if there is such a thing. (See my love for fixed grip lifts!)

I just feel like being one edge behind the cutting edge is the way to go. We're now a 3-hybrid family.

The things I don't like about EVs boil down to the batteries:

The weight of the car
The way the batteries are mined
What happens to the batteries at the end of the lifespan

FWIW an ICE car is like 80-something percent recyclable.

I've always been a late adapter, if there is such a thing. (See my love for fixed grip lifts!)

I just feel like being one edge behind the cutting edge is the way to go. We're now a 3-hybrid family.

The weight of the car
The way the batteries are mine

I hear you. I made an intentional choice to be a beta tester but there were a lot of factors that came together there:

-car for the price (then net maybe 10k more than a nice highlander hybrid)
-capability
-long length of time I keep cars (though you could argue that means I should not beta test).
- knowing I would never be able to get this net pricing on this kind of vehicle again.
- doing enough research to know there are good chargers covering 99.9 percent of my driving - farthest I ever really drive is Stowe and you can easily get there with range by piggybacking thru 87. Then you are surrounded by slow chargers in town.

Somewhere between 2-5 years there are going to be sweet options.

On recycling point, these batteries (at least for riv and I think Tesla) are relatively easy to recycle into solar storage batteries. So you might be north of 80 percent - I do not know.

I hear you. I made an intentional choice to be a beta tester but there were a lot of factors that came together there:

-car for the price (then net maybe 10k more than a nice highlander hybrid)
-capability
-long length of time I keep cars (though you could argue that means I should not beta test).
- knowing I would never be able to get this net pricing on this kind of vehicle again.
- doing enough research to know there are good chargers covering 99.9 percent of my driving - farthest I ever really drive is Stowe and you can easily get there with range by piggybacking thru 87. Then you are surrounded by slow chargers in town.

Somewhere between 2-5 years there are going to be sweet options.

On recycling point, these batteries (at least for riv and I think Tesla) are relatively easy to recycle into solar storage batteries. So you might be north of 80 percent - I do not know.
And I can’t wait to buy a cheap bolt in 8 years when my Subie is 19. Those are sweet for the money if you are ok w 200 miles of range or have another car that gets more range.

I made an intentional choice to be a beta tester
I said this before. I appreciate it.

The only beta test I ever did (where I spent my own money) was a pair of WhiteRoom skis, the first Vin ever made with a layer of titanal/metal. They are nice. But not as rigid as my head Rev 4s.

On recycling point,
I was told by a mechanic that the batteries (hybrids and EVs) can be recycled once (which is certainly significant) and then they are done. Not sure if this is true.

Is there a market yet? How many teslas have used up their batteries? Our 2012 Prius is still on the originals.

The weight of the car
The way the batteries are mine

If you're one edge behind, I'm 3 or 4 behind. I'm still driving stick.

A hybrid seems like all the problems of ICE with most of the problems with EVs. Most of my miles are on the Northway, and I almost never get into traffic jams. There's not much advantage to a hybrid for all highway driving, and I don't even have a place to plug one in. If I had to drive the LIE everyday I'd want an EV, but for now I'm sticking with ICE. YMMV

mm

Back