Gore Mountain Conditions

How would a Lake George hotel offering a 3-day wkd package negatively impact your experience?
Doesn't
How many skiers do you think this would add wkds?
However many they have paid/booked.
seeking to understand why hotels 27mi from the mtn that offer amenities would be a big issue for other skiers?
No problemo. If they can make a go of it.
Let em eat cake...and/or pie of their choosing.

tirolski, thanks for your reply.
Interested to hear timbly's perspective regarding his post, if so inclined.
Also Gore already has ambassadors, lifties & ski patrollers if newbie folks have questions needing help finding their way.
Or just ask other folks ya ski.

Why can mega-millions be spent upgrading Gore but amenities needed to support the expansion/skiers appear so lacking?
And Belleayre.
Gore can probably handle more skiers on the mountain, but parking's already pretty messy. ...-there's a lot to consider between state-run vs. private, economic development inside the blue line, economic stratification, climate change, etc.
I’m pretty sure ya can get a decent bite & bed in LP.
YMMV
Overall, I would prefer that my taxes don't contribute to the ADKs getting all guilded-age great-campy again.
It ain’t over till it’s over.

I have avoided weekends like the plague since long before covid, usually day trip to Gore a couple of weekdays each week.
I only have the Gore base cam for a perspective on wkds-
The lines appeared short today.
Generally seems that they appear long in mainly in the AM on wkds -assume until skiers move up on the mtn?

A blue trail was needed to get to the Ski Bowl, but it wasn’t necessary to build it where and how it was done. It decimated one of the best and longest glades in the East, cutting it into three short segments (do you prefer the over-skied Bar, the less frequently skied, steeper and more difficult Kea, or the seldom-open Ter?).
Barkeater was seldom open due to the steep exit onto Pipeline. The upper portion of the glade is open more. It was inevitable that any trail cut in that vicinity would impact the glades, which should have been trails in the first place.

It was blasted and bulldozed into a wide, almost constant pitch, BORING trail. It could have been a Moxham or at least a Tahawus, narrower with changes of pitch and fall line.
Backwoods is 60 feet wide, which is about the same width as Tahawus. It follows the fall line except just above the power line crossing which is much steeper, and would not have been a blue if it wasn't graded out.

The only reason that the rest of the route to Ski Bowl/Burnt Ridge is a bottleneck is that the blue boulevard is dumping way more traffic into it.
No, it's because two trails merge into one that is one of the narrowest on the mountain. People ski Backwoods because it's the easiest trail on Burnt Ridge. Most people lap back to Burnt Ridge, rather than going to the ski bowl.

You don’t have it to yourself anymore.
Ah, so you admit that you don't want it to be easier to get to the ski bowl, because now you don't have it to yourself anymore. Tough shit. I prefer it being open more consistently and being easier to get to, as do the majority of skiers.

Hey Conditions right, a foot of snow and this thread goes a different direction. Maybe break this out Harv...So back to the 50K vert. My sole goal today was to see how fast I could get to 30K on a day like today. Longer than I thought. Ski Bowl then straight to Burnt Ridge and Sagamore. It wasn't groomed, as advertised. Next was Backwoods and I have to say that was ROTD but I only skied that and Sagamore...Moxam at the end was really my ROTD. 30K by 1pm and on the Hudson at 8:30. In summary, Fast and firm Burnt Ridge. 50K at today's pace would be possible but I think all Sagamore would be faster, but today Backwoods was better. . Backwoods adds time. Tomorrow should soften by the afternoon and there is still a lot of snow on that great pile called Gore. Thanks snowmaking crew...we really needed you this year.

A blue trail was needed to get to the Ski Bowl, but it wasn’t necessary to build it where and how it was done. It decimated one of the best and longest glades in the East...

I think they left the best part of Barkeater intact. The easiest part to cover is now isolated so the top can be opened when the steeper parts aren't covered. I'd like to see some google earth* ... how would you connect to top of BRQ to Pipeline with a trail?

(*ha I have no idea how to do this!)

Barkeater was seldom open due to the steep exit onto Pipeline. The upper portion of the glade is open more. It was inevitable that any trail cut in that vicinity would impact the glades, which should have been trails in the first place.

Backwoods is 60 feet wide, which is about the same width as Tahawus. It follows the fall line except just above the power line crossing which is much steeper, and would not have been a blue if it wasn't graded out.

No, it's because two trails merge into one that is one of the narrowest on the mountain. People ski Backwoods because it's the easiest trail on Burnt Ridge. Most people lap back to Burnt Ridge, rather than going to the ski bowl.

Ah, so you admit that you don't want it to be easier to get to the ski bowl, because now you don't have it to yourself anymore. Tough shit. I prefer it being open more consistently and being easier to get to, as do the majority of skiers.
Burnt Ridge used to be the “secret” pod, not any more . I skied it last Wednesday, probably lightest crowd of the holiday week, and found the trails fairly crowded, with a short line at the lift. We had just come from Ski Bowl, which was deserted, in spite of it being the holiday week near the end of the second season of the “easy way” to get there being open.

Why was it so empty before? Because it was only 2 trails, one of which was always closed for racing. Now that it has another trail, people have more reason to go there. People don't go to the ski bowl, even with Backwoods open, because the lift is so slow. They're replacing it this summer.

Back